Window unit for ferm chamber freezing up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
I have a BCS controlling my window unit that cools my fermentation chamber. I'm trying to cold crash for the first time, but my coil keeps freezing up. I've gone as far as putting a large box fan flowing air onto it....but it still freezes.
I was looking at the coolbot website and saw that it has three lines. One for ambient, one (heat) to trick the thermostat, and one that you place in the coil. I'm guessing this detects freezing shuts it down so it can thaw for a while.

My other thought is to step my temp changes, so I'm not asking too much run time.
Any other ideas?

I'm making progress. I modified my BCS process to use the following logic:
Cool to fermenter reaches set point or until sensor in coil reaches 28 degrees (will play with this for the low point)
Wait til coil sensor reaches 35 degrees
Wait 10 minutes (prevent short cycle)
Go back to cooling step

Interested to see how others might have solved this.

aint lager a *****....turn all off ,open all access 12 hrs.refigerate to max 57deg at first....yeast gotta live....55-117deg,physics 101.
bcs is extreme johnson control is more dependable

aint lager a *****....turn all off ,open all access 12 hrs.refigerate to max 57deg at first....yeast gotta live....55-117deg,physics 101.
bcs is extreme johnson control is more dependable
Actually I'm trying to cold crash/gelatin my 15 gallon conical...but it's the same logic. I use the BCS for my eHerms system, so it's just another process.
Given my experience...unless you have a Coolbot or use some advanced logic, I don't know how you do it with a window unit.

I used to have a window chiller for my ferm cabinet and ran into freezing issues as well. If the cabinet is insulated and sealed well, it helps prevent the ice buildup, but it never fully goes away. Ferm temps are a breeze, but crash cooling was always an issue for me. Fortunately, I was able to do what you did with the BCS to program around the AC units shortcomings and create the defrost periods needed.

Back