Winch system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I recently like many of you, converted my kegerator into a "Keezer". I installed a collar between the freezer and lid, then mounted my taps into the collar. Standard Keezer build. Now though with the collar, its very difficult to get 15 gal sake kegs or my 15 gallon fermenter with 10 gallons of beer into the keezer. I was able to man handle the fermenter yesterday so I could cold crash but Im pretty sure a full 15 gallon keg would be pretty impossible for me to do alone.

I was thinking about something like a winch system over the keezer. Where it is located I could hide the winch (or whatever), above the drop ceiling and mount it to the floor joists above that. I was looking at a cheap ATV winch at Harbor Freight for 70 bucks but whatever I get needs to have a slow lift and slow release and I wasn't sure if it would work.

Have any of you done something like this before and if so how did you do it?

Thanks,

David

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COTKDM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I thought about doing one of those in the past. Biggest obstacle for me is attaching it to a carboy / fermentor somehow. Thought about building a lift box and then putting whatever I want to lift into the box (kinda like a milk crate). I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, just make sure you do it safely.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I recently like many of you, converted my kegerator into a "Keezer". I installed a collar between the freezer and lid, then mounted my taps into the collar. Standard Keezer build. Now though with the collar, its very difficult to get 15 gal sake kegs or my 15 gallon fermenter with 10 gallons of beer into the keezer. I was able to man handle the fermenter yesterday so I could cold crash but Im pretty sure a full 15 gallon keg would be pretty impossible for me to do alone.

I was thinking about something like a winch system over the keezer. Where it is located I could hide the winch (or whatever), above the drop ceiling and mount it to the floor joists above that. I was looking at a cheap ATV winch at Harbor Freight for 70 bucks but whatever I get needs to have a slow lift and slow release and I wasn't sure if it would work.

Have any of you done something like this before and if so how did you do it?

Thanks,

David

I am a HUGE fan of Harbour Freight. Have yet to have anything fail on me nor have I ever had any need to return something. But, of all the items I have read reviews for their chain lifts/winches/etc.. seem to be the most prone to failure. whatever you decide, just read ALL the reviews first.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COTKDM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I thought about doing one of those in the past. Biggest obstacle for me is attaching it to a carboy / fermentor somehow. Thought about building a lift box and then putting whatever I want to lift into the box (kinda like a milk crate). I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, just make sure you do it safely.

Thanks I was looking at this one too but most of the comments say not to use it as a hoist. Im only going to be lifting 150lbs though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I was looking at this one too but most of the comments say not to use it as a hoist. Im only going to be lifting 150lbs though...

I was worried about the angle of pull, but I figured there was enough leeway in the design to make up for it. I probably would have done this if it went both directions instead of just pulling.

Latest posts

Back