what to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLivermore

Reaction score
I've done around 20 brews now and am wondering what I might try next.

I think this is a matter of taste in beer first and trying to brew it second.

I don't like porters and stouts I've tried and I do like IPAs -- and I really like the darker more bitter end of IPAs.

I did a "red IPA" and "cantankerous ale" off the austin home brew site that are 2 of my favorites so far. Probably because they have that great mix of strong / dark body, quite bitter, with the strong hop element as well.

When I tried a "dark IPA" in a bar I really didn't like it at all.

I think I'm right in a grey zone where I want stuff bitter but not too dark, and any strong hop element is a bonus.

I feel like my request is almost absurdly specific but then then I know there are people here with extremely specific knowledge so I thought I'd throw it out there.

If you were me and were going to try some more beers, either brewing or purchased, is there anything you'd recommend?

Ultimately I'm looking to brew it. If you have a brand that I should check out, please let me know, or if you have a recipe or kit, I'd go right for brewing to check it out.

I'm open to pretty much anything, except I don't think I have the temp control for Pilsners or lagers.

I like your question because I'm feeling my way around too. I do like ips's but I also like amber ales, I can taste the malt but with a bitter finish. Does that make any sense?

I know the feeling and I have the exact same question.

But you guys do realize this is an impossible question to answer and utterly subjective. I mean I'd *like* someone to answer it for me but I really don't see how anyone could.

Um, but if you are brewing for yourself, you might try modifying traditional recipes you like but upping the hops to see how you like them. Just a thought. I'm a newbie with only 7 or eight brews and only 2 that I've tasted, so what do I know.

Have you tried a milk stout? I didn't like the sound of it, but tried Left Hand's milk stout and found it not be so roasty like.

Have you tried a white IPA (wheat)?

You mentioned liking hoppy IPA's. I do as well, and when I first began I tried a balanced hopping approach (say 1.5 oz at 60/15/5 mins) vs what I figure most are doing, which I prefer, which is to use maybe 1 oz at 60, but 2 oz at 15/5 mins, which gives it more flavor instead of bitterness. I figure Ranger IPA is a fairly balanced hopped IPA, though I can't say it is. Which do you prefer?

What other styles do you appreciate? Brown's? Ambers? Wheats?

Brewers Best sells an Imperial IPA that mimics Stone's Arrogant Bastard IPA that I thought turned out pretty good. Strong bitter taste and high alcohol content. I am currently trying their rye pale ale. Has anyone tried this? I just bottled it last week.

Back