Wilserbrewer and Brew Bag comparison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireberd350

Reaction score
I've recently had the opportunity to use both bags and have a range of comparative feedback on each.

Equipment
  • Spike 20G Kettle
  • Heavy Duty Pulley System w/ Unistrut trolley
  • Many 10G BIAB Batches with anywhere from 15 - 33 lbs of grains
  • Spike Temp Probe inside kettle (you'll see what that's important)

Products:

Cost
Wilser: $27: $22 + $5 Shipping
BIAB: $32: $30 -$3 DiscountCode + $5 Shipping
WINNER: Wilserbrewer

Strength/Quality
Wilserbrewer bags do not instill a lot of confidence on their own. The draw string loop and thin fabric appears to be weak. However, the bag has been proven to support a ridiculous amount of weight. Well over 100lbs in fact - SOURCE.
Brew Bag on the other hand appears to be very rugged and durable. Most notably, the support straps wrap all the way under the full bag which removes the majority of the stress off the weakest point, the stitching.
I've also had the unfortunate experience of ripping both bags on my kettle thermometer. The Wilserbrew bag was my personal bag and gone through dozens of batches before the rip, while the Brew Bag was a loaner from a friend and ripped in my first batch. Although I chalk that up to coincident. Be sure to protect your bags from those temp probes!!
WINNER: Draw. BrewBag is an excellent design but Wilserbrewer has gone to great lengths to prove his bags strength.

Usability
Wilserbrewer's draw strap allows for a quick and easy method for securing the bag while mashing. Brew Bag requires some fasteners to properly secure. I've used alligator clips and binder clips. The problem is the clips are a sharp edge on the fabric, you need to have them on hand when you need them and they prevent a tight seat of the lid which reduces mash temp faster.
As for lifting, the Brew Bag really shines here. The straps as strong and low profile. This means the distance from the 'hook point' is close to the kettle. This enables the pulley to lift high and clear the kettle w/ ease. Wilsebrew falls short here. The draw string when tightened, created a very large loop and the hook point becomes 16" or so above the kettle. The creates a problem w/ my pulley setup as I do not have enough clearance the lift max height and clear the kettle walls. I've overcome this by creating a quick knot to hook at a lower hook point.
WINNER: Draw. If only there was a bag that offered the draw string convenience with the low profile hook point.

Customer Service
As explained above, I've had the unfortunate experience of ripping both bags. I contacted both stores and explained my story and asked what my options were (I did not request anything).
Brew Bag questioned the shape/size of the tear and offered a patch of material to fix the damage area. Wilserbrewer provided his address and offered to patch the bag for me, all I had to do was provide $3 for return shipping. Excellent service from both stores but Wilserbrewer truly went the extra mile. Also, I sent my ripped Brew Bag to Wilserbrewer with a request to patch that as well (on my dime). I'll post back if he pulls through w/ that request.
WINNER: Wilserbrewer.

Overall Choice: WILSERBEWER
Ultimately you cannot go wrong with other choice but if I had to buy another bag it would be Wilserbrewer. The combination of the low price, proven strength, and draw string convenience are enough to overcome the high hook point. What really closed the deal was the customer service.

Cheers!

IMG-0269.jpg

IMG-0267.jpg

I also have both bags and I agree that the wilserbrewer bag is better. His extra large hop bags are also da bomb.

The Wilserbrewer bag doesn't necessarily have a higher hook point, you're just using it that way.

Take a separate small loop of cord and make a prusik or klemheist knot around the bag, above the grain. This way you put your lift point wherever you want it.

A side benefit is that there's no chance of damaging the drawstring loop, because it's not involved in lifting.

suns out guns out. I just lift my bag (generally a 12-14 lb grain bill plus absorbed water- maybe 20 lbs) high enough above my kettle (2-3 inches) to slip a stainless pasta collander underneath. then I squeeze the bag while it rests in the collander. by the time i finish squeezing it probably weighs 7-8 lbs which i can lift easily and dispense of. but then again i've been doing a lot of 12 oz curls to bulk up like Hans and Frans.

might take a little more pumping up to lift a wet 30lb grain bill, but for a 6 gal batch I live for it

The Wilserbrewer bag doesn't necessarily have a higher hook point, you're just using it that way.

Take a separate small loop of cord and make a prusik or klemheist knot around the bag, above the grain. This way you put your lift point wherever you want it.

A side benefit is that there's no chance of damaging the drawstring loop, because it's not involved in lifting.

Runs to google....ok that looks pretty effective. I'm going to try that. Great tip!!

One thing I've always liked about my Brew Bag is the four attachment points. I built a simple "spreader" to hang it from so that I can pour sparge water on the grain bed after I pull the bag. Since I don't have second pot or bucket big enough to dunk sparge a 25# grain bill how do you sparge with the WilserBrewer bag? That's the only thing that's kept me from trying one out (well, that and the fact that my Brew Bag is still going strong).
Spreader.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still using dumb 5 gallon paint strainer bags. I keep telling myself that I'm going to get new pots and why waste the money on a bag now... Yet I keep going for years.

Nice overhead conveyor!

Got a few Wilserbrewer bags recently so this is great to hear, although I'd assumed as much from being on HBT. My dry hop bag is full of blueberries in a keg and this weekend I'll finally get to use the BIAB, I'm very excited.
@owmatooth have you used twice milled grains with the Wilser/M&B combo? Any problem with the "flour" screwing with the sensor or creating errors?

Point of interest, your price comparison for Brew Bag is for a 50-60 quart bag 17.75" max outer diameter, your Spike 80 qt kettle has an OD of 18.375, perhap you got lucky and it fit or perhaps it is a tight fit IDK.

True price comparison for this size kettle following the manufacture's recommendation and list prices would look like this

wilserbrewer $22 plus $5 shipping. Total $27
Brew Bag $35 plus $5 shipping. Total $40

$27 vs $40, that's much more spread than the $3 difference represented above.

Thanks, just looking for accuracy here.

@owmatooth have you used twice milled grains with the Wilser/M&B combo? Any problem with the "flour" screwing with the sensor or creating errors?

i run my grains through the mill at my lhbs twice. I've no idea what it's set for a gap. but it does look like husk parts and flour when i'm done. The wilser bag is fine enough that I don't have any issues I've noticed with the sensor. Only time i've ever gotten an e4 code with the m&b was when i had a bad boilover and it got into the control panel from the outside.

To update this thread, I ended up repairing both bags, mine and my competitor's bag, that offered to send the user a scrap of voile to patch the bag himself.... :(

The OP said he would post back and report, but never did. Just patting mysel on the back here for fixing my competitors product.

Happy thanks giving home brewers!

To update this thread, I ended up repairing both bags, mine and my competitor's bag, that offered to send the user a scrap of voile to patch the bag himself.... :(

The OP said he would post back and report, but never did. Just patting mysel on the back here for fixing my competitors product.

Happy thanks giving home brewers!

Happy thanksgiving to you too. You are a great member of the community

No comparison here. Seriously though, I have five bags all from Wilserbrewer. These bags work flawlessly for me so I don't have any reason to try another.

I bought a grand slam package for a keggle from Wilser several months ago as I wanted to try out BIAB, particularly when I brew away from home as my single tier natural gas system isn't portable. Since then I've brewed with it 4 times in 2017 and it worked great each time and has held up well.

In December I took my BIAB/Wilser system to a "Brewathon" at a local brewery where homebrewers were provided ingredients to make beers for the brewery's 5th anniversary celebration and I got lots of questions and comments as I was the only BIABer there. Wilser did great again, especially the double hoist.

A question in an obviously old thread -- Anyone have experiences with, or a preference for a BIAB for recirculation in a Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil malt pipe? I like my Brew in a Bag for my 10 G Igloo Cooler

I would get the proper size wilser, I used my bag for my 15G in my robobrew.

I have a bad habit of melting my bags, but I keep buying Wilser. just ordered a replacement for my 20G the other day.

I need to quit melting them.

A question in an obviously old thread -- Anyone have experiences with, or a preference for a BIAB for recirculation in a Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil malt pipe? I like my Brew in a Bag for my 10 G Igloo Cooler

I ordered a wilserbag custom sized to my M&B (no recirc pump) malt pipe size. I don't have a pulley system or anything of the sort and like to use the pipe to let the bag drain while heating up the kettle. Works well, or at least the bulk drains out and when I get around to squeezing, the grains have cooled enough that Im not scorching myself anymore.
I would think a bigger bag would wrinkle and sort of trap grains near the bottom of the grain bed, possibly hiding dough balls? I did have to use a smaller bag once while I was contemplating my set up, and the bag I had made for my 5G kettle did work, but it was a pain to get it around the rim.

I ordered a wilserbag custom sized to my M&B (no recirc pump) malt pipe size. I don't have a pulley system or anything of the sort and like to use the pipe to let the bag drain while heating up the kettle. Works well, or at least the bulk drains out and when I get around to squeezing, the grains have cooled enough that Im not scorching myself anymore.
I would think a bigger bag would wrinkle and sort of trap grains near the bottom of the grain bed, possibly hiding dough balls? I did have to use a smaller bag once while I was contemplating my set up, and the bag I had made for my 5G kettle did work, but it was a pain to get it around the rim.
I’m thinking the same — use the pipe to let it drain. However, I ordered a M&B with the pump. Do you think that complicates anything. Thanks for your response!

Having had zero experience with it, I wouldn't think so. I would think the bag would allow the wort to flow freely using the recirculation. Off the top of my head, I cant think of anything else that would be a concern.

I’m thinking the same — use the pipe to let it drain. However, I ordered a M&B with the pump. Do you think that complicates anything. Thanks for your response!
My robobrew has the pump, and it worked the same as no bag, I would not expect any real process difference other than easier cleanup!

I got the heavy duty pullies from wilser and he included small loops of cord to tie off an attachment point on the bag. They work great

I'm a M&B guy, too, and I (like Immocles0 do not have the recirculating pump. Wils. will fit the bag to the M&B, no scorches, nada...probably 10ish batches with it, and I also use it for making ******** infused stuff. It works wonders there, too.

I just screwed in a hefty hook to one of the rafters in the garage, and manually hoist it; however, I think you brew in your kitchen?

I just screwed in a hefty hook to one of the rafters in the garage, and manually hoist it; however, I think you brew in your kitchen?
Basement, mostly. But also the deck and in front of the garage. Still do small 1g batches in the kitchen. I think the M&B was my wife’s way of saying gtfo of the kitchen haha.

Ive looked into just screwing a hook in the basement, but find this way to be just as convenient and it only takes a few moments to spray out the pipe while I’m boiling

Basement, mostly. But also the deck and in front of the garage. Still do small 1g batches in the kitchen. I think the M&B was my wife’s way of saying gtfo of the kitchen haha.

Ive looked into just screwing a hook in the basement, but find this way to be just as convenient and it only takes a few moments to spray out the pipe while I’m boiling

I don't use my pipe because of its design (holes only in the bottom). I raise the bag to the top so it drips back in, boil, remove the back at some point, clean it, and then use it as a filter. I run the wort through the bag and then back into the M&B (if I'm fermenting in it) or into my Anvil fermenter. Gets double duty : )

Back