will they grow back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izumidai

Reaction score
Just learned a very important lesson... Don't wait until the end of May to start training your 2nd year hops.

Needless to say, I had a tangled mess that would have taken days to untangle.

In frustration, I decided to cut them all down.

Am I screwed now or will new shoots come up? I only have one cascade plant, but it probably sent up at least 20 bines this year. I got side tracked with work travel and kept putting it off. Some of the bines were already 5 feet or so. I am hoping it is early enough that some new bines will sprout up. Anyone have a similar experience?

There's an old saying that goes something like this, "Relax, don't worry, have a home brew." I think hop plants are more resilient than people think. I'll bet in a few days you'll see new shoots popping up.

Right on Bumbler!

Izumidai,

Join the club! The same thing happened to me about 15 yrs ago and has never happened again. Once they're established, get rid of the first growth. About 2-3 weeks later, get rid of the next surge of growth. Usually by this time I've got some time to get the poles up and everything thinned once more and the good vines are then allowed to climb. I do a lot with plants in the spring and I know the hops can be held back until I'm ready to deal with them. You'll be fine. Now go have a beer!

Back