Will These work for GF brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used the millet, gf oats and the coarse ground cornmeal in my first GF brew Saturday. I used 1# each steeped them and boiled with 4# sorghum syrup, 1# rice syrup solids and 8 oz. Maltodextrine. So far it smells amazing. I'll be racking to the secondary soon, at which point I can let you know how it turns out.

No problems using them for anything gluten free, including somehow in beer as well as just eating or in baking. I suppose the main question is if they're maltable on their own. Was that your question?

No problems using them for anything gluten free, including somehow in beer as well as just eating or in baking. I suppose the main question is if they're maltable on their own. Was that your question?

At this point in my new found hobby I am not malting, more steeping. So looking at using to steep and add body flavor to beers made from sorghum and rice syrup solids

At this point in my new found hobby I am not malting, more steeping. So looking at using to steep and add body flavor to beers made from sorghum and rice syrup solids

Then go to town! Just make sure to record your results...and in order to figure out flavors of each, you might try singling them out or doing small boiled water "batches" and tasting what just the grain in boiled water tastes like.

Back