Will these burners work for 10 gals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarsnik

Reaction score
I'm building a brew stand on the cheap. So far I've invested about 25$ in it for some drill bits and angle grinder pads. For burners, I know most people opt for a jet burner or banjo burner, but I don't really want to shell out 50$ per burner yet will these smaller ones work well for 10 gallon batches? They have high BTUs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYSW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I currently have this burner stand from bayou classic

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

and it looks like the burner in the stand is the same as the one above. This can bring 8 gallons of wort to a boil in 10ish mins. Would it work for 10 gallon batches with 13-14 gallons preboil?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I use and I can get 10 gallons of tap temp to about 165 in about 20 minutes. It also has a 30 psi reg on it. You may be able to get that much heat from those burners if you get a higher PSI regulator on it, normal is about 10 PSI. My burner puts out about 200+ BTUs at full throttle, my problem is pulling that much propane from the tank causes it to frost up and occasionally trip off line with OPD. Ir you want any thing, spend the $$ on your burners, to help you control the temp of what you are doing. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, from mash temps to boil in 10 minutes or so. Maybe 15 mins for 75 to 160. I didn't time heating water for the mash though, but I know it's not that long. I generally heat my sparge water during the last 15 minutes of mashing and its ready when mashing is complete.

I believe the burner is at 30 PSI as was mentioned. Maybe this is a difference from jigg's?

I'm not adverse to spending money on this stand though - in fact I feel much more inclined to do so considering I haven't needed to spend much yet. I'll splurge for the banjo burners if they will perform much better than these, I just didn't know if these were a viable alternative, or if the banjo burners are in a league of their own.

I was quoting my time for a 10 gallon batch. Preboil being 13 gallons'ish. I usually fire up the kettle after the first two gallons are in to try and get a head start on getting it to boil. My last two 10 gallons batches were between 40 and 45 minutes.

Maybe I should consider something with a little more 'oomph'... :)

I was quoting my time for a 10 gallon batch. Preboil being 13 gallons'ish. I usually fire up the kettle after the first two gallons are in to try and get a head start on getting it to boil. My last two 10 gallons batches were between 40 and 45 minutes.

Maybe I should consider something with a little more 'oomph'... :)

You could. But you should also consider that 45 minutes means 2 more homebrews during a brew day! It's a heavy price to pay for more efficient brewing

Does someone have a link to that agricultural supply site that supposedly has the cheapest price for banjos?

I also got the ones from agrisupply from hours and hours of researching these seemed best and best price. They are heavy so if you live near one pick em up.

Thanks for the link. I'm a little confused now though - the banjo's are listed on the agrisupply site as only 100,000 btus while the other smaller ones are 170,000. It this right? If so, what is the advantage of the banjo?

Thanks for the link. I'm a little confused now though - the banjo's are listed on the agrisupply site as only 100,000 btus while the other smaller ones are 170,000. It this right? If so, what is the advantage of the banjo?

BTU output is determined by the burner and the regulator; you can run these with up to a 30psi reg.

So the banjo's are listed at something like 10 psi by default? You just have to add a 30 psi reg to it to without other modifications?

I have heard that that Banjo sucks a lot of gas. Is this true? Anyone have reports of a Brutus build with three of the smaller burners linked earlier?

i have there of the AGRI high pressure cast iron burners on my stand. have only used them three/four times but have used a single burner with the same cast iron burner for years, i don't know if it uses any more gas than some other type but they do work well.

+1 on Agri Supply. I got 2 shipped for $20 because they are heavy.

Look at bayou classic for a 20 psi or 30 adjustable regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

So the banjo's are listed at something like 10 psi by default? You just have to add a 30 psi reg to it to without other modifications?

It seems everyone quotes it at a different BTU; but here is what I'd go by:

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm

I have heard that that Banjo sucks a lot of gas. Is this true?

I've read the same. For me it all depends on how high you turn it up; it certainly will at full throttle with a 30 psi reg, but I can't imagine anyone needing that much heat. I never really turn it up past 60%. At a boil, you can turn it nearly off and keep your boil, or you can turn it up and waste a lot of gas.

Like I said before it took me forever to come to the conclusion on the banjos because everyone likes there own setup or just has they
re own opinions. But to help you out because it took a ridiculous amount of time on the internet reading through everyone's opinions. The burners I purchased off of agrisupply are the 10 inch banjos.

-this style on this website are hands down the cheapest on agri than any where else.

-if your new to propane (like I am) there support staff is very knowledgeable.

-the fittings needed come for free.

-btus on some sites are different for the same burners. I read this is because sellers arent really mandated on listing btus. So don't pay too much attention to this

-these are said to be a lot quiter. Haven't used mine yet but have looked up these on youtube and compared to the other hpsi ones this ones way better. The other one sound like jet engines firing. No good for me because I need tunes while brewing.

-If you ever get tired of propane northern brewer has a conversion kit to change these to natural gas.

-Some people whined about alot of the holes in the burner casting being unopen. Mine were perfect plus picking them up you can inspect for yourself if they are good.

-These having a wider span of heat 10 inches is less likely to burn or scorch your wort.

-These are easier to mix oxygen/gas to illiminate yellow flame which will put soot all over your kettles.

-They do burn a lot of gas but thats if you have them full blast but since they are 10 inches it will heat up your liquor/boil/mash quicker than a small one which might have to run longer.

-The price if anything I've heard bad things about the costly jet burner's and those are expensive. 30 for the banjo's from agri is perfect for me.

I hope this information helps I know there's more that I cant think of from my reading. I would post the helpful links I found to lead me to my decision but those are all on my work computer:D

DUNDASJ said:
The only bad things Ive found about those is they are loud. Bit Im just picky like that.

What's loud the 6" burner or my jet fuel rocket flame throwing beast you need ear plugs to use?

-=Jason=-

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

Cheapest hands down is the agri supply 6" burners for $12. They used to be 9.99 looks like the price has gone up http://www.agrisupply.com/burner-cast-low-presure-multi-hole-/p/40282/cn/5400000/

I'm going to replace my 23 tip jet flame thrower burner with one.

-= Jason =-

Smart move. IMO, that's the best all around burner for the typical home brewer. You can also run it as a high pressure burner with the correct orifice. It's basically the same burner casting that is used on the Bayou Classic SQ-14. I cannot possibly imagine running a Banjo at WOT on a 30 psi regulator. I'd go with a variable pressure regulator of 0-15 which should be way more than adequate. I particularly do not like the mulit-jet burners. They suck big time. It appears that you have discovered this too.

What's loud the 6" burner or my jet fuel rocket flame throwing beast you need ear plugs to use?

-=Jason=-

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$ or say your choice was stupid. I just seen videos of those burners and and they seemed really loud, read that too. I just thought it would annoy me after a while. Everyone's got they're own preference is all. Thats why it was so hard for me too choose a burner being a noob to building up a propane brew stand. 15 people love one thing while 15others completely poop on it. But thats with everything Beer.

Latest posts

Back