Will silicon in the fermenter introduce off-flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasully

Reaction score
This is actually about cider, but is more of a general question so I'm going with the bigger forum.

I just bought some https://www.morebeer.com/products/carboy-bung-silicone-breathable.html for some cider batches. So the carboys would store more compactly when fermenting. And to stop babysitting the airlock fluid. Except they weren't staying put, they were super loose in the carboy necks. So I tried pushing it in, and naturally it then popped on through into the fermenter and into the juice.

Of course, this was 3 am, I'd been drinking, and I went on a week-long work trip right after waking up. And it was the last one, so I had no spare fermenters to rack to.

So now I'm concerned that it'll ruin a batch. But I'm hopeful that since silicon is pretty non-reactive as far as bakeware and cookware is concerned-it won't actually matter. Am I being hopelessly optimistic?

It did take a starsan bath right before.

Asking, for, uh, a friend. Not me.

(I'm guessing they just don't grip when wet because a few hours later they were all very firmly placed)

Silicone as a material, assuming it is sanitized, is fine in your beer. There are kegging products such as floating dip tubes that utilize silicone hose. Not sure about silicon though. ;)

I don't see any problem here. People use Fermcap S to control the amount of krausen produced. It contains silicone. I personally don't use it because of that but it settles out and does not change the flavor.

So, uh, a friend of mine, definitely not me, may have done something similar with a pale ale a couple of weeks ago. Accidentally grabbed a stopper that was too small, sanitized it and pushed it through. Luckily for my friend, who was totally not me, the beer turned out fine.

So, uh, a friend of mine, definitely not me, may have done something similar with a pale ale a couple of weeks ago. Accidentally grabbed a stopper that was too small, sanitized it and pushed it through. Luckily for my friend, who was totally not me, the beer turned out fine.

Our friends need to start learning from their mistakes.

Back