Will Chugger Head fit a Little Giant pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of Little Giant TE-3-MD-HC pumps with cracked pump housings. I've seen that the Chugger stainless replacement heads fit the March pumps, but does anyone have knowledge of compatibility with the Little Giants? It would obviously save me a ton if I could just get 2 heads instead of complete pumps.

Thanks

RocketBrewer di you ever find out if the chugger stainless heads fit?
I have a little Giant and was wondering the same thing

I doubt this will work. I have a 3-MD-HC and a Chugger and the heads don't seem all that similar. The next time I drag the system out I'll look into it.

I have a couple of Little Giant TE-3-MD-HC pumps with cracked pump housings. I've seen that the Chugger stainless replacement heads fit the March pumps, but does anyone have knowledge of compatibility with the Little Giants? It would obviously save me a ton if I could just get 2 heads instead of complete pumps.

Thanks

considering from what I have seen that a march won't fit a LG I think you are out of luck.
You can order replacement parts from here - http://www.pumpvendor.com/Little_Giant_Parts_List.html
Get the part number from the MD manual http://www.franklin-electric.com/media/documents/993233.pdf
Looks like about $75 for either the volute (from part with threaded ports) or housing (back part which the impeller magnet sits in).

Yikes... I was just looking at the stainless replacement pump head for the chugger and march and it was only $60 for everything... These are going to be pricy to make beer safe

I scored two LG pumps with two 25 gallon stainless kettles of CL for $40! They were used for photo chemicals but are pretty clean considering. I've read you can clean the pump head parts in oxy clean and they run near boiling stsr san through them for 30-40 minutes to get the photo crap out. I might give that a try instead of dropping $150 for pump parts.

I scored two LG pumps with two 25 gallon stainless kettles of CL for $40! They were used for photo chemicals but are pretty clean considering. I've read you can clean the pump head parts in oxy clean and they run near boiling stsr san through them for 30-40 minutes to get the photo crap out. I might give that a try instead of dropping $150 for pump parts.

It's going to be more that $150 for the replacement parts as you'll have to replace all the wetted companants; volute, hosuing, impellor, shaft, etc. - might end up more than a new pump.
Can comment on cleaning out the photo chemicals sorry.

I had a similar thought re: photo chemicals with some large stainless tanks for sale. Ran it by a few chemical engineering friends. The unanimous consensus was *JUST SAY NO.* Apparently the chemicals are extremely nasty, and even with stainless they can live on. If you're talking plastic parts, you should get a whole new head set and make sure that nothing in contact with those chems is ever in contact with your beer.

Granted that's one man's opinion, but I wouldn't want my friend/family member (or anyone else) handing me a beer that was made in equipment used for industrial chemicals. Given the time you'll invest in making the beer, it just isn't worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would soak the heads in water for a few days and see if the taste of the water changes....if it doesn't I think you are fine.....

It's going to be more that $150 for the replacement parts as you'll have to replace all the wetted companants; volute, hosuing, impellor, shaft, etc. - might end up more than a new pump.
Can comment on cleaning out the photo chemicals sorry.

That stuff can be nasty I service similar equipment for the newspaper industry and we used to used film based equipment.... I would be very careful to disassemble and clean everything.
I feel better about my $20-25 plastic food grade pumps I have been using for the last year after reading this...

Would the chemicals show any signs of contamination by discoloration in the pump head parts? I pulled them apart and they look brand new inside with the exception of the carbon dust on the shaft from the bushing. Now I'm torn on the subject... The housings aren't plastic, but the glass filled Ryton.

Chuggers are a knockoff of the 809/815 March pumps. The march/chugger and LG heads are not interchangeable. The spacing on the bolts is different on the two and iirc the march is smaller than a 3 series LG.

is this the style you are looking for?
Little-Giant-180080G.jpg

I may have one from a TE series with the only difference being a 1/2" intake and a different material. If you are still looking I can grab some pictures tomorrow.

Most of the LG 2/3 series pumps have the same bolt spacing and the volutes can be interchanged. you will get slightly different performance out of the pump based on the volute selected, but rarely do we run the pumps where we need the maximum flow. Even whirlpooling with a 2 series LG pump or head is easier than with an 808/815/chugger due to the capacity of the 2 series.

I would soak the heads in water for a few days and see if the taste of the water changes....if it doesn't I think you are fine.....

Chuggers are a knockoff of the 809/815 March pumps. The march/chugger and LG heads are not interchangeable. The spacing on the bolts is different on the two and iirc the march is smaller than a 3 series LG.

Little-Giant-180080G.jpg

I may have one from a TE series with the only difference being a 1/2" intake and a different material. If you are still looking I can grab some pictures tomorrow.

Most of the LG 2/3 series pumps have the same bolt spacing and the volutes can be interchanged. you will get slightly different performance out of the pump based on the volute selected, but rarely do we run the pumps where we need the maximum flow. Even whirlpooling with a 2 series LG pump or head is easier than with an 808/815/chugger due to the capacity of the 2 series.

Ideally yes. That is what I want to replace these heads with. I wish they had a stainless version but beggars can't be choosers... I have two different LG pumps.

3-MD-MT-HC

TE-4-MD-HC

Two pumps with bottom inputs would be easier to buy fittings for and keep track of.

I just got this back from the manufacturer about replacing the wet parts. Parts are more than the 3-MD is new!! Guess I'll probably just get March or Chuggers and trash these...

Spec:
http://www.franklin-electric.com/media/documents/995778.pdf

181202 - $30.11
924008 - $13.87
921077 - (2 pcs needed) $9.17 each
181142 - $56.98
180059 - $35.92
180005 - $39.65

Spec:
http://www.franklin-electric.com/media/documents/995781.pdf

182011 - $23.30
924008 - $13.87
921077 - (2 pcs needed) $9.17 each
182134 - $64.42
180057 - $35.92
182006 - $55.74

Total Shipping Cost $21.54
No Sales Tax

Little-Giant-180080G.jpg

Do you have a head assembly your willing to part with? The parts online are crazy expensive...

Back