Will biscuit malt result in a sweeter finished beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
If yes, how much should I use to get that sweetness?

Biscuit/Victory/Amber malts are just base malts that are lightly toasted in a roaster. You may get a little sweetness, but really what you will get is a toasted flavor. Think a lightly toasted piece of bread.

If you are looking for sweetness, use a Caramel or Crystal Malt.

Although Biscuit and Aromatic malts are nearly the same color, Aromatic malt provides a sweeter and exaggerated malt presence. Biscuit malt is the toasty choice. Victory malt is virtually identical (in my experience) to Melanoidin malt. Both are similar to the Aromatic in flavor and aroma but are slightly darker. I find Briess Munich 20 to be very close to Aromatic in all aspects.

Your perception of what's in the glass determines how you develop your next recipe. A hint of sweetness can be found without adding unfermentable sugars as in the case of lactose, an abundance of crystal malts, or high mash temps to provide dextrins. That's where the smoke and mirrors of brewing comes into play. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Latest posts

Back