Wild yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvanessen

Reaction score
Hi,

i am somewhat experienced with brewing but new to soda making.
I have a recipe that I like.
My process today is:
- Boil the juice/water/sugar mix in a pot
- Fill the boiling liquid into a clean PET bottle (sanitization happens through the temperature)
- Force-carbonate with CarbaCap

I am now thinking of making larger batches in my 5 gallon keg and fill into 12oz glass bottles afterwards with a counter-pressure bottle filler.
I am sure I can handle the sanitization until filling the carbonated soda into the bottles. But I am worried about including wild yeast into the head space of the filled bottle when capping. This could potentially result in a bottle bomb if the yeast starts eating all the available sugar.
So I thought to use Campden tablets to avoid that from happening. My questions are:
- When to add the Campden tablets? During boil?
- Will the Campden tablet kill the wild yeast?
- Should I add potassium sorbate to inhibit budding of survived yeast cells?
-- Even if yeast cells can't reproduce anymore..there is lot's of sugar left. How long will they go? will they die at some point or survive until all sugar is gone?

I thought about pasteurizing, but heating pressured bottles to 170F is my last favorite adventure.

Thanks for any tips and recommendations.

Best regards,
Phil

Back