Wichita Rookie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlotterbock

Reaction score
My name is Michael and I am from Wichita, KS. I just started home brewing in December, because I had a week off from work and nothing to do. I studied Chemistry and Business in college but have not been able to put my Chem degree to any use, so I figured home brew was the way to go.

I've made two batches of extract brew and think I'm ready to move on to all grain (meaning anxious to try). I've been lurking here for about a week gathering as much information and learning as much as possible, figured it was time to sign up and join the group!

Obsession is an understatement. I can't stop devising new plans to upgrade to All-Grain! I started working on plans for an RIMS or HERMS, but I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

I think I need to make an MLT out of a cooler, and slowly work my way up. Figured I should get good a making beer before I worry about control methods!

Hey, Schlotterbock, Welcome! I'm a newb too. I have my second batch in the fermenter right now.

I've spent some time in Witchita for work. I work for a firm that dose a lot of work for ICM out of Colwich. Two summers (the latest time I've been there) ago I was in Wichita for six weeks. We stayed at the hotel accross the street form Walmart, right by the interstate. Candlewood, I think is the name.

I've stayed there a few times on trips down there over the past five years. I really like Wichita. The "Old Town" area is really nice with lots of pubs to visit.

It's been my impresion every time I've been there, that it dosen't seem nearly as big as it is.

To this day I tell people about the two worst hangovers I've had in my life. They both happened in Wichita. Unfortunately for me (or the guy next to me) the second happened on our flight out at 7:00 in the a.m. No puking involved, but I'm sure I wreaked worse than a brewery, and my coworker told me I was whiter than a ghost. We spent a lot of time a Ms. Marples' the night before!

I also have some damn good memories of my days, right after highschool, working for a custom harvester around Osbourne and Smith Center. I also have some things I can't remember from those days!:drunk:

Thanks DakotaSchmidty! Wichita does feel like a small town in a medium sized city's body! Old Town has been picking up a lot lately. They are really trying to develop it.

And no bueno on flying out of ICT hung-over, especially when we only have regional jets and puddle jumpers!

yeah, it's ridiculous. to get to wichita we have to go to Minneapolis, that's normal. From there we have to go to Memphis, then on to Wichita. Memphis aint really on the way from here , in fact it's way out of the way. But that's how they work it. You think you have "puddle jumpers" in Wichita, fly up here to Grand Forks.

Back