WI Witbier next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmd49

Reaction score
I started brewing and caught the itch to do more. I have two brews ready to start; Belgian witbier and oatmeal stout. I am using extract and really like it. The first batch I did from a kit and actually dumped the original instructions from it and followed a tip from a member. Best mistake I never made! Thank HBF.

Any insight bring it on to keep me brewing. Starting another boil tomorrow morning.

Welcome from out by Kenosha. :mug:
If, you haven't already, head up to Milwaukee (West Allis actually) and check out Northern Brewer.
I don't work there, just a satisfied customer. :)

I brewed up an extract wit once or twice and it came out pretty good! One of my favorite beers to brew and drink.

The recipe I used, off the to of my head was:

50% extra light extract
50% light wheat extract
1 ounce East Kent Goldings hops. (60 minutes)
.75 ounce coriander (Add at 5 minutes or flameout)
.75 ounce fresh orange zest (not the bitter white stuff underneath)(add at 5 minutes or flameout)

Clean ale yeast like Nottingham for Blue Moon type beer
Liquid Wit Yeast for true Belgian character (funkiness...)

Granted, this is all off the top of my head. I think it was 3 lb. bags of extract, one each of malt and wheat. The amount of orange and coriander you use is a personal preference. I'd go up to 1 ounce of each myself, but that may be a bit more than you like.

You could also use dried, bitter orange peel from the store. Many people do, but I've always used fresh zest. I've even used a bit of lemon peel as well. Feel free to play around and see what strikes your fancy.

Rumour has it that Pierre Celis used to put Chamomile in his recipe.

Thanks. I used wyeast 3944. I did use 1 oz of corriander and 2 oz of bitter orange.

I tried to get close to Sunset Wheat by adding 2 oz. of Blueberry extract at bottling, nice touch. I like the recipe above Homer, I will be checking that out from Northern, thanks Kenosha.

Back