Why isn't my beer fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkharris200634

Reaction score
I recently bought the Rogue Dead Guy Ale beer kit by Brewcraft USA. The kit said it didn't come with the 1764 Pacmans yeast. I opened the kit and there was dry yeast in the kit. I inspected the ingredient chart and sure enough it included a dry ale yeast but not the Pacmans yeast. I read the directions and it said that you could use the dry with the kit but it recommends the Pacmans. I opted for the dry yeast that was in the kit. I pitched it at below 80 degrees and it's been more than 48 hours and no sign of fermentation at all. What should I do? I went ahead and ordered the Pacmans yeast but it won't be here for another 6 days. Will this be ok or is the batch done?

48 hours isn't an unheard of amount of lag time. Did you rehydrate the yeast or just sprinkle on dry? Did you aerate well? How close to 80F was it when you pitched?

I'd say RDWHAHB.

No signs as in airlock activity, or the gravity didn't drop when you took your hydrometer reading today?

Airlock activity is not the only sign of fermentation. The ONLY way to be sure is to take hydrometer readings.

Sanitize a thief, pull a sample, and get a reading with the hydrometer.

FYI: all my "bad batches" of beer I've made (lots of off flavors from the yeast) were from beers that had a lot of bubbling from the airlock. The last 5 beers had NO AIRLOCK ACTIVITY, and fully fermented - with no yeast off flavors.

I used a wort chiller and I checked the temp. I didn't get the exact temp but when it went under 80 degrees I knew it was ready. I haven't taken another hydrometer reading yet. I was gonna give it until the morning. This is my 10th batch of beer and I've never had one take this long.

I think the advice to RDWHAHB is good. I've had a couple of batches where the yeast has even appeared to drop out of suspension within minutes of me pitching it, forming a cake on the bottom of the carboy. Mind you, this has happened on *multiple* batches for me. Yet those batches fermented out fully, just like any normal batch. It just took a few days to see visible signs of fermentation -- and even afterwards, it was never going full tilt. Still, they finished in a pretty normal time frame. Yours is probably going to just do the same.

I used a wort chiller and I checked the temp. I didn't get the exact temp but when it went under 80 degrees I knew it was ready. I haven't taken another hydrometer reading yet. I was gonna give it until the morning. This is my 10th batch of beer and I've never had one take this long.

I would definitely shoot for much lower than 80. I usually shoot for 70, and I know guys on here that shoot for 65. Don't get me wrong, "below 80" is definitely better than 80+, but IMO it would benefit the overall flavor of the beer it you had dropped it a hair more. That being said, RDWHAHB and your beer will eventually take off and be great

I actually just got home and it's bubbling. It's minimal but it's there. I'm gonna leave it be tonight and if it's still going in the morning I'll continue as normal. Thanks for the advice and help guys!

HALLELIJAH!!!!!!!:ban: You see, Grasshopper? Patience is in deed a virtue. I've had some batches that took nearly a week to start getting visual activity. I have never liked pitching dry yeast straight into the fermenter. I either rehydrate with water or make a starter about a week ahead of time. Whenever I can, however, I use liquid yeast.

Well I'm still kind of new to home brewing but definitely wanting to learn more! Do you guys know any books or DVDs about all grain and culturing yeast that are good?

You stressed the yeast by underpitching. That's why they took so long to get going, and it will be reflected in the flavour of the resulting beer. It will likely still be good, don't get me wrong, it just won't be as good as it could have been.

In the future, either pitch 2 packets of dry yeast, or rehydrate 1 packet as per the manufacturer's procedure. In addition, chill the beer all the way to the target fermentation temperature before pitching the yeast. When you pitch the yeast warm, and then further chill the beer, you risk the yeast responding to the cooling environment by going dormant.

On line FOR FREE is John J. Palmer's HOW TO BREW. you can also find it on amazon.com.

Great book to read BEFORE you make your first beer, but if you're like me, you've made a feew batches and now are looking to find out why the beer isn't great. This book is "the bible" of beginner beer making.

And it's FREE online!

Thanks!! The beer is fine haha I'm just interested in learning more and possibly creating my own home brew recipe one day.

I bought Charlie papazian's joy of homebrewing and his beer campanion. I heard somewhere that they were good haha

Latest posts

Back