Who was at home brew con 2022?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrazier77

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went and it was my first. I had a good time and learned a lot even though I have been brewing since 2009. There were some things i did not care for, but that is to be expected. But I don't have any previous ones to compare it too. If you went and it was not your first what did you think? If it was your first, what did you think?

It was my first Homebrew Con as well. I have lots of positive things to say.
  • Most of the educational sessions I attended were well presented and educational.
  • It was useful talking with different vendors (and meeting people like Brad Smith, John Blichmann, Chris and Vito from MoreBeer, etc.) and I came away with a good $100 in free stuff (yeast, hops, puree, grain, etc.). There were some pretty nice raffle prizes (that I did not win).
  • I touched base with several people from Instagram, YouTube, etc. I probably could have put more effort into meeting more people.
  • I thought that Club Night was great! It would have been a challenge just to try one beer from each booth (I did not make some, and tried several from some booths).
  • Julia Herz was a constant presence showing enthusiasm, ideas and an openness to improve the AHA.
Probably the cost was the biggest negative for me, but most of that was the cost of a hotel. It is just a lot harder to find $79 hotel rooms anyplace these days, so $1,000 for 4 nights in downtown Pittsburgh is about as cheap as I can expect these days. The Drury Hotel was quite nice, even if I was not in my room much.

The beers at the knockout party was a big of a cluster****! Given that people had to submit 6 beers for the NHC this year, and people did not have to qualify at regionals before entering likely meant there was a ton of mediocre beers to sample. I had a few good beers, and a few beers that were clearly not to style. I am curious how this compares to prior years.

I heard it was quite a bit smaller than some years past maybe about half of the peak attendance numbers. I am sure COVID has a large impact, both from people leery of large group events and people not happy about the vaccine/testing requirements. NHC entries seem to be way down as well. That might impact a little who attends the conference.

eta: I did not attend this year.

The beers at the knockout party was a big of a cluster****! Given that people had to submit 6 beers for the NHC this year, and people did not have to qualify at regionals before entering likely meant there was a ton of mediocre beers to sample. I had a few good beers, and a few beers that were clearly not to style. I am curious how this compares to prior years.
This is similar to my experience in the late 2010s.

• Julia Herz was a constant presence showing enthusiasm, ideas and an openness to improve the AHA.
Good to read that. I'm reading similar things in homebrewing web sites where she to participates.

I was there. I haven't missed an in-person conference since Oakland, CA in 2009. Attendance this year was on par with 8-10 years ago and it's obvious COVID played a major role. I don't know what AHA was charging for booth fees at the expo this year but something was also deterring vendors from showing. Maybe it was location. We will see next year.

Back