Victory versus Biscuit malt...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
I've been spending lots of time reading about different grains, but cannot find anything to describe the difference between biscuit and victory malt. I just used a pound of biscuit malt in my APA, and though it's bottle conditioning, the samples tasted promising of much greatness! I'm getting ready for my next brew and thinking about victory malt. What say you, HBT?

i had the same question when i was putting together a nut brown ale recipe at a LHBS & the owner told me to taste both of the grains.... from my understanding they both are very similar, so it might just come down to personal preference?

would be interested to hear what others say...

They can be very similar- but I think that victory is "toastier" tasting, more like toasted malt, while biscuit is "drier" tasting if that makes sense.

Threads like these make me realize that no matter how much I brew, there will always be more stuff I haven't tried; I have used neither of these malts, but now I'm going to have to.

Duh nun nun nahhhhhhh... Yooper to the rescue.

Guess I will just have to brew and find out.

Cheers SPR-GRN!

They can be very similar- but I think that victory is "toastier" tasting, more like toasted malt, while biscuit is "drier" tasting if that makes sense.

Yup, agreed. That and the obvious - different malster. Victory is Briess' malt; a lot of folks make biscuit malt. I've also gotten subtle nuttiness from Victory.

I just brewed an English IPA with 5% Biscuit malt. To me it has a dry kind of cracker like character to it. I've used victory before as well and It adds more of a soft biscuit flavor. Kind of counter intuitive if you are trying to add biscuit flavors. The IPA turned out good but not as bready as I would have liked. I think Victory may have been a better option for what I was trying to accomplish for this particular project. Can't complain, just my thoughts.

I'm with leftcoastbrewer. You will never really know until you taste them.

I respect Yooper a great deal (much more experienced than me) but every maltster's biscuit malt is different. So it's hard to say that Victory is "toastier" than biscuit malt. That said, it may be toastier than the 'average' biscuit malt.

So, to re-iterate, taste the malts before you buy.

Happy brewing.

:off:

Sorry for the OT, but I need to clear something up. Zig6's post reminded me. What do you guys in north America mean by "biscuity". Do you mean biscuit like the thing you guys eat with gravy? (Kind of like a dense English scone).

:off:

Sorry for the OT, but I need to clear something up. Zig6's post reminded me. What do you guys in north America mean by "biscuity". Do you mean biscuit like the thing you guys eat with gravy? (Kind of like a dense English scone).

That post tickled me. Biscuit is traditionally an English malt, so the biscuit refers to an English biscuit, which Zigs6 described pretty well, while his description of Victory sounded more like an American biscuit, which is basically a non-sweet bread pastry, though I'd say they're usually a bit fluffier and not denser than scones.

Great replies both of you, because that is exactly what I was expecting. An American biscuit. I didn't even take into consideration that an English biscuit was different. So yes, I suppose to get an American biscuit flavor, Victory might achieve that a little better.

Latest posts

Back