Whirpool with oats...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerstein

Reaction score
So I had steroid induced insomnia last night and spent a lot of time thinking...

I like using oats in my recipes, especially IPA's.

I'm wondering if anyone has put oats in their whirpool?

My reasoning is not for increased sugar, but to get more the oaty taste, proteins, beta glucans etc into the final wort.

I'm thinking 3-5%.

So I had steroid induced insomnia last night and spent a lot of time thinking...

I like using oats in my recipes, especially IPA's.

I'm wondering if anyone has put oats in their whirpool?

My reasoning is not for increased sugar, but to get more the oaty taste, proteins, beta glucans etc into the final wort.

I'm thinking 3-5%.
That might be an interesting technique for NEIPA haze production and mouthfeel. You would need to have them in a grain bag to remove them though

I'm remembering back to when Burnside Brewery was around they had an Oatmeal Pale Ale that was just awesome. It was so thick. It was like liquid breakfast. I've examined various "recipes" that claim to clone that Pale Ale, and none of thing stack up to the original.

At the brewery we tried it with a few of the NEIPA's and although I feel it added downright amazing mouthfeel I didn't like the taste it added. I feel as though it layered the flavor on top of the beer instead of blended it, if that makes sense. The flavor was kinda weird as well. Personally I wasn't a huge fan. But play around with it. You may LOVE it.

Cheers
Jay

At the brewery we tried it with a few of the NEIPA's and although I feel it added downright amazing mouthfeel I didn't like the taste it added. I feel as though it layered the flavor on top of the beer instead of blended it, if that makes sense. The flavor was kinda weird as well. Personally I wasn't a huge fan. But play around with it. You may LOVE it.

Cheers
Jay

What kind of oats did you use and at what percentage? seems like this could take a lot of method development.

My RIS's tent to be thin for the style because i like dry beers. This might be a way to add thickness and with the dark malt and stone fruit flavors will hide the oat taste.

Back