Boh Pilsner infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fili123

Reaction score
Hi all, I brewed a second 5gal batch of Bohemian pils from harvested yeast from the first batch (wyeast urquell 2001). Washed the yeast made a starter, had some good airlock activity from day 2-5 in 49-51F basement, not as robust as the first batch but it was there. OG 1.044, after week and half 1.010-1.008. However Ive noticed as I was taking a sample the sour smell and yellow orange floaties all over the top. Tastes a bit sour, but that smell and the presence of all that still material up top makes me wonder if there is an infection. 4th all grain batch so a bit concerned as none of my other batches looked or smelled like this. Does it look infected or am i overreacting? Many thanks.

Recipe:
10 weyerman pilsner
.45 lbs carapils
.35 acidulated malt

IMG_8551.jpg

IMG_8552.jpg

Looks normal to me!
Just some yeast rafts and co2 colonies
If you havent done a D-Rest yet that might be where the sour/sulphur? smell is coming from. This yeast is classic for this
Enjoy!

Thanks for the trained eyes. Just a bit overwhelmed by that off sour/sulfur smell. Last batch didnt have it. Ill be patient.

Are you doing a diacetyl rest? Wait until 2/3 of ferm is done, then bring beer up by at least 10 degrees F until you hit FG.

Then cool > 4 degrees per day until at lagering temp, lager 1 week per 10 gravity points.

I also boil my lagers 90 min.

Lagers are more work, but worth it.

I'm pretty new, but don't you get a LITTLE but of sour notes from the acid malt? Solid chance I don't know what I'm talking about. At any rate, I am with the masses: Rafts + CO2.

Cyclman yes will be doing a d rest. Was just thinking of moving the pail upstairs to a closet~65f for a few days after two weeks in the primary. Thing is my gravity reading right now is pretty close to terminal1.010. Not sure how much more it can drop. Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Back