Mash water adjustment for Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I am brewing a pale ale this weekend with 100% RO water. I was going to use 2.97 gallons for the mash, and only treat that water. I was going to use the following additions:
5.2 Grams - Gypsum
1 Gram - Epsom Salt
1.2 Grams Calcium Chloride.

I will be a little low on some of the numbers according to the style, but this is only my second time adjusting water so just wanted to get close this time.

How does that look? Anything else I need or anything incorrect?

What size batch and how many pounds of grain? 2.97 gallons seems pretty thick, what ratio are you using? The water additions don't look too bad assuming a 5-6 gallon batch, it will definitely be on the "hard" side.

Here's the recipe, I am mashing at 1.25 qt/gallon
Grain Bill:
1 lb 13 oz - Vienna
7 lb 4 oz - 2 Row
7 oz - Crystal 10

Hops:
.2 oz Citra 60 Mins
.25 oz Citra 15 mins
.25 oz Amarillo 15 Mins
.25 oz Citra 10 Mins
.25 oz Amarillo 10 Mins
.25 oz Citra 5 Mins
.25 oz Amarillo 5 Mins
.25 oz Citra Flameout
.25 oz Citra Flamout
.8 oz Citra - Dry Hop
1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop

Yeast
US - 05

1.051 OG
37.8 IBU
5.1 SRM
5% ABV
Shooting for a 1.013 FG.

I also updated some of the salts last night and ended up with this:
5.2 grams - Gypsum
1 Gram - Epsom Salt
.7 Grams - Baking Soda
1.2 Grams - Calcium Chloride
1oz 2% Acid Malt added to mash

Est Mash PH 5.3

How is that looking for water additions?

And yes it is a 5 gallon batch. Total water volume of 7.1 gallons, the spargevwater will be untreated RO water

I don't understand why you would add baking soda and acid malt both. With your original plan in EZ water I get 5.56 estimated pH at room temp, which should be in good range at mash temp.

I was using bru`n water which always has my mash lower that ez water for whatever reason. I believe i added the baking soda for some sodium if i remeber correctly.

shoukd i not be adding the baking soda? I basically just matched the pale ale style as close as i could with mineral additions in bru`n water and made sure mash ph was ok

shoukd i not be adding the baking soda? I basically just matched the pale ale style as close as i could with mineral additions in bru`n water and made sure mash ph was ok

The acid malt and the baking soda will counteract each other. You don't need sodium. I'

The acid malt and the baking soda will counteract each other. You don't need sodium. I'

Got it. I took out the baking soda and you are correct, it did counteract the acid malt, so I took that out as well and I am back to 5.3 PH

Thanks

Back