Whirlpool Position in Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapout

Reaction score
I'm going to be adding a whirlpool setup to my 15.5 gal boil keggle. For those of you that have whirlpools set up in your BKs, where do you position the outflow? I'm trying to figure out the best position for the most effective whirlpool.

Is starting the whirlpool at the bottom of the keggle more inductive to a good whirlpool, or should I position the outlet nearer to the top of the liquid level?

If the best starting point is at the bottom, I can punch a hole high enough in the keggle to accommodate 5 or 10 gallon batches...with the added benefit of not needing another ball valve, just another male QD. However, if the best whirlpool effect comes from near the top of the wort, I will need something that I can slide up or down for different size brews (or always brew 10 gallons at a time).

A follow on question, if I use a low outlet system, is can I use the same setup to then drain the wort from the keggle, rather than have a separate connection for both whirlpool and drain/fill port? I realize this won't work with a high setup unless I make it so the tubing can lower all the way to the bottom.

Thanks for any replies and insight.

I have mine punched up high, then started low, just above the dip tube.
Because mine is down low, there is still a siphon effect if the hose from your pump goes below fluid level.

Other than that, mine whirlpools just fine.

I had mine put right at the 5 gallon mark in the keggle so it doesn't splash and oxygenate when doing a 5 gallon batch and it's about in the center from bottom-to-top of a 10 gallon batch.

Commercial whirlpools place the whirlpool fitting between 1/4 and 1/3 up from the bottom, mostly to prevent too much oxygenation. Some commercial brewers inject some CO2 on the way to the boil kettle because it gives extra protection AND because it increases trub precipitation, too.

Adam

As high as you can. Eliminates the need for a ball valve.

Street L on the inside to barb and attach a long piece of silicone that can drop down to the floor of the kettle.

I had mine put right at the 5 gallon mark in the keggle so it doesn't splash and oxygenate when doing a 5 gallon batch and it's about in the center from bottom-to-top of a 10 gallon batch.

Commercial whirlpools place the whirlpool fitting between 1/4 and 1/3 up from the bottom, mostly to prevent too much oxygenation. Some commercial brewers inject some CO2 on the way to the boil kettle because it gives extra protection AND because it increases trub precipitation, too.

Adam

Hot side aeration concern?

I doubt that is a legitimate concern on a homebrew scale.

Hot side aeration concern?

I doubt that is a legitimate concern on a homebrew scale.

More of a concern at a homebrew scale than at a commercial scale, actually given some of our practices and our HUGE increase in surface area to volume ratios.

Check out Denny Conn's new book for his experiments with HSA @ Home Brew scales.

Adam

I routinely beat the hell out of the wort while whirlpooling so the results from the link below do not surprise me at all.

I tend to think HSA is a myth as well.

Latest posts

Back