Whirlpool/Dry Hop Ratios For Double IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bottoms_Up

Reaction score
This subject has probably been discussed in the past, but since there has been so much more recent experience with double IPA's, I was hoping if it could be discussed again.

I know that there's no size-fits-all in homebrewing, but that there can be very general rules-of-thumb for most approaches. Therefore, based on experience, and what seems to work best overall, I'm looking for some very GENERAL guidelines for the total quantity of hops (range) used in double IPAs, and the general split between whirlpool hops and dry hops, assuming that only a bittering hop is used during the boil.

In other words,

1. Is there a general lower and upper limit in the total quantity of hops used (other than the bittering hop) in a double-IPA?

2. Do you generally use more hops in the dry hop schedule than in the whirlpool? Are they generally about equal? Or do you use more in the whirlpool than the dry hop? If they are not equal, what is the approximate split?

Thank you.

I have no notion of "limits", but on one side there isn't enough character and on the other side the governance is cost vs diminishing returns :)

Anyway, looking at the dipa recipes I brew regularly I'm typically using 10 ounces in the kettle (50/50 split FO + WP @150°F) and 12 ounces dry hop (50/50 split two rounds) per 10 gallons. Plenty of punch that persists. Hyper-critical to avoid cold-side O2 though - or consume quickly...

Cheers!

I have no notion of "limits", but on one side there isn't enough character and on the other side the governance is cost vs diminishing returns :)

Anyway, looking at the dipa recipes I brew regularly I'm typically using 10 ounces in the kettle (50/50 split FO + WP @150°F) and 12 ounces dry hop (50/50 split two rounds) per 10 gallons. Plenty of punch that persists. Hyper-critical to avoid cold-side O2 though - or consume quickly...

Cheers!
Thank you day tripper. That's exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. So in this case, a total of about 11 ounces (for 5 gallons) and about 45% of the hops go in the kettle while 55% go in the dry hop.

I should note, those numbers are for three variants of dipa-class neipas, so uber-hopped.
For balance, I do a dipa-grade wcipa using 8 ounces in the boil (2 @60, 3 @15, 3 @5, no later kettle additions) and 6 ounces for one round of dry hops, again for 10 gallons. Higher bittering, drier finish (yeast, mostly) and plenty of character but by no means a juice bomb. Considerably cheaper to brew, too :)

Cheers!

I should note, those numbers are for three variants of dipa-class neipas, so uber-hopped.
For balance, I do a dipa-grade wcipa using 8 ounces in the boil (2 @60, 3 @15, 3 @5, no later kettle additions) and 6 ounces for one round of dry hops, again for 10 gallons. Higher bittering, drier finish (yeast, mostly) and plenty of character but by no means a juice bomb. Considerably cheaper to brew, too :)

Cheers!
Thanks. I'm interested in all the various types of dipa, but particularly the dipa NEIPAs.

Here is what has worked well for me. For NEIPAs I find that as long as you are somewhere in the 50/50 to 35/65 range for whirlpool/dry hop, then the beer is good. Varieties matter as well - I like danker in the whirlpool, brighter and fruitier in the dry hop, and the most pungent (Galaxy, Idaho 7, Vic Secret) used sparingly in the dry hop.

For west coast, I am less sure... what I listed below created a gold medal winning IPA but every time I change it at all, its not nearly as good.

NEIPA:
  • 0.5-0.75 oz 60 min
  • 3-6 oz whirlpool
  • 6-8 oz dry hop

West coast IPA:
  • 1.5 oz 60 min (+hopshot for more IBUs)
  • 1 oz 10 min
  • 3.5 oz 0 min
  • 3.5 oz whirlpool
  • 6 oz dry hop

Here is what has worked well for me. For NEIPAs I find that as long as you are somewhere in the 50/50 to 35/65 range for whirlpool/dry hop, then the beer is good. Varieties matter as well - I like danker in the whirlpool, brighter and fruitier in the dry hop, and the most pungent (Galaxy, Idaho 7, Vic Secret) used sparingly in the dry hop.

For west coast, I am less sure... what I listed below created a gold medal winning IPA but every time I change it at all, its not nearly as good.

NEIPA:
  • 0.5-0.75 oz 60 min
  • 3-6 oz whirlpool
  • 6-8 oz dry hop

West coast IPA:
  • 1.5 oz 60 min (+hopshot for more IBUs)
  • 1 oz 10 min
  • 3.5 oz 0 min
  • 3.5 oz whirlpool
  • 6 oz dry hop
I'm very thankful for this information, anteater8.

So generally, based on your experience, and the type of hops used, the total quantity of hops for an NEIPA (other than boiling hops) ranges from about 9-14 ounces, and the proportion of total hops should either be equal, or lean more towards the dry hops than the whirlpool hops.

I'm very thankful for this information, anteater8.

So generally, based on your experience, and the type of hops used, the total quantity of hops for an NEIPA (other than boiling hops) ranges from about 9-14 ounces, and the proportion of total hops should either be equal, or lean more towards the dry hops than the whirlpool hops.

Yeah you've got the right idea. I use two NEIPA recipes, both found on this site. Braufessor's Northeast IPA and Trillium Melcher St clone. When I brew Braufessor's I do 6 oz whirlpool and 6 oz dry hop by default... but sometimes there's some more hops in the bag that I don't feel like vacuum sealing so I'll throw it in the dry hop, bringing it closer to 8 oz. The Trillium recipe uses 1 oz Columbus at 10 min, 3 oz Columbus whirlpool, and 1.5 oz Columbus + 5 oz of another hop (think Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy). I've won gold medals with both recipes, and can't decide which I like better.

Yeah you've got the right idea. I use two NEIPA recipes, both found on this site. Braufessor's Northeast IPA and Trillium Melcher St clone. When I brew Braufessor's I do 6 oz whirlpool and 6 oz dry hop by default... but sometimes there's some more hops in the bag that I don't feel like vacuum sealing so I'll throw it in the dry hop, bringing it closer to 8 oz. The Trillium recipe uses 1 oz Columbus at 10 min, 3 oz Columbus whirlpool, and 1.5 oz Columbus + 5 oz of another hop (think Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy). I've won gold medals with both recipes, and can't decide which I like better.
Thanks, I'll check those two recipes out. It looks like you like Columbus. I hear Columbus goes well with Simcoe.

Back