Flow-thru Hydro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churdbird

Reaction score
Has anybody made a flow thru hydrometer yet? Thought I might be handy when sparging. You would be able to watch the gravity drop as you ran off. Obviously you would correct for temp but just though it could be handy. If so post a pict.

I think the problem would be that you either have too much water flow that messes with the placement of the hydrometer, or there will not be enough flow to get an accurate reading on what is currently being run off, depending on how you design it. At this point you may be better off using a refractometer.

I'm just thinking.. How about a slow runoff like fly sparging. Granted it would take some tweaking, but it's an idea. Hang it off your ball valve? Johnny Blich. Choppy chop..

I love this idea, but don't think it has a practical use or viable implementation. Taking a gravity sample is a spot check sort of thing, and continuous reading would not offer any benefits. You also might have problems regarding temperature compensation while it's running off.
Despite all that, I think you should build it anyway.

Some home distillers use them but only collect a few drops a second. Pro distillers also use them with a much larger collection rate, probably similar to sparge rates or better, but not sure just how it is implemented.

Its called a parrot, I made one when I used to make "distilled water" Switched over to making beer now.

Yup, or a "parrots beak"...........You can see a picture and videos of one in action @

hillbillystills.com

They have "water distilling" down to a science, and some neat equipment too!

Back