Gee. So sometimes people *do* get krausen blowout in their airlocks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woozy

Reaction score
Jes' sayin'.

It always seemed like an abstract concept before...

It happens. The best way I have found to avoid this is get a 3 piece air lock. Toss the cap and the guts. Attach a tube to the inner part and run it to a 1 gallon jug filled with some water. If the fermentation goes crazy it just goes through the tube and into the water. After things calm down I switch to another air lock and clean the tube. Dried krausen is tough to remove.

I was just going to use a blow-off tube.

much easier like dozer said to lodge it into the middle post of a 3 peice without the bobber. Buy a couple airlocks and leave the blow off attached to one of them. Makes for easy transfer of pulling an airlock and replacing with the blow off/airlock

I have found that every time I make my big blonde it blows like crazy. Funny but thats the only one that does it. I just put a blow off tube on it now from the start.

i had my first blow out with a wheat extract kit add dark malt and wyeast german ale. woke up t 6 am (for work) and was all oh crap!!!! set up a blow off tube before work and it blew off fr 2 to 3 days. funny thing, that was the batch that had 1/2 kg fermentable sugars....

much easier like dozer said to lodge it into the middle post of a 3 peice without the bobber. Buy a couple airlocks and leave the blow off attached to one of them. Makes for easy transfer of pulling an airlock and replacing with the blow off/airlock

Oops. I should have *finished* reading dozer's post.

Yes, that's the type of blow-off tube I use. I just chose not to use it 'cause I just couldn't really believe I'd get that much activity. But I did.

Back