Which yeast to look out for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merleti

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have always used the more traditional yeast when making beer. Now with so many different types and blends I found myself asking which yeast should I really be watching out to make sure I separate my equipment with. I can't just shop by the yeast name. I know basic's like sours and bretts but what are the actually strains? Thank you in advance for all the replies.

Be on the lookout for diasticus yeast, or yeast that have the STA1 gene. These yeasts are able to consume longer dextrin chains than typical Sacch strains and are typically found in Belgian strains, particularly Saisons.

With that being said, I brew a lot of Saisons with the STA1 gene in my usual fermentor and haven't noticed any infections in a 'clean' batch yet. Proper sanitation and care for your equipment will take care of most infection risk. There are a number of members on here that even brew Brett beers in their plastic equipment and dont get infections in other batches. I'm not that brave but PBW, hot water, elbow grease and taking precautions against scratching the surfaces will go a long way. Hope this helps. Cheers!

I'm not that brave. After hearing a talk about lacto I feel I must heed the warning. "You maybe fine with 6000 batches without an infection but it's 6001 that can get you." I don't want to take the chance I need every drop of beer :)

Back