Which Keggle(s) for Which Function?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapout

Reaction score
I just got my hands on a third keg to turn into a keggle for my brewstand setup. I now have two 15.5 gallon ones and one 50 liter (13.2 gal)...a Guinness keg. My question, for those of you who have been brewing batches in excess of 5 gallons, is which size keggle I should use for which function; HLT, MT, Boil? I've already installed a sight tube on one of the 15.5 gallon vessels, so I can't really use that one for mashing, as I don't want mash in the tube.

I was thinking of using the 13.2 gallon one for mashing, as the other would allow more room for a boil.

I've only done extract brews to this point; so don't have the itinerant knowledge of you all grain brewers.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would use the 13gal for HLT, and the 15.5gals for MT and BK.

The mash tun volume is usually the limiting factor when brewing, especially high gravity beers. My $0.02.

I brew 10 gallon batches routinely.

I have a keg HLT, and it only holds about 14 gallons realistically. For a typical 10 gallon batch of beer, I need 14-15 gallons of water to start. So, even with that size HLT, I need to refill it for most batches over 1.050.

A 10 gallon MLT did fine for me for quite a while- 10 gallons of a 1.063ish beer (24 pounds) is about the limit. If you have a 13 gallon MLT, you could go with more like 28 pounds of grain (or maybe more), and make 10 gallons of a 1.075 or higher beer.

To make 10 gallons, I start with 12 gallons in the boil kettle. The keg will do it, but you really have to watch it like a hawk until after the hot break.

The mash tun volume is usually the limiting factor when brewing, especially high gravity beers. My $0.02.
I agree. I would also make at least the MT bottom drain if it's not being fed flame.

It's kinda nice having a sight glass on the HLT. I would use the guiness (smallest) hlt unless buying another sight glass is out of the question in which case I would use the bigger one.

I wish I went bottom drain on all 3. Gonna hafta replace them one day to do this.

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to make the 13.2 gal the HLT, as I can always add more water to it as needed. That way I have 15.5 gallons to play with in both the MT and the boil kettle; room for lots of grains and room for a full boil. I'll use the the keggle that I already installed the sight glass in as my boil and get another sight glass for the 13.2 gallon keggle.

A false bottom, at least one pump...two eventually...a plate chiller, and assorted connectors and I'll finally be all grain. Hopefully by spring.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

When i had a 50l and two 15.5's I use the 50l as the hlt. It seemed right the right way to go, as i could just add more water.

I only do 10gal batches, and this is the route I would take

Back