Which base malt to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRUGBY

Reaction score
Looking to buy a bag of base malt from my LHBS. Not sure which type to buy, a standard 2 row or a pilsner malt. After I finish drinking this recent batch and get a kegging setup I plan to try brewing the cottage house Saison recipe on here, then maybe a belgian (dark?) strong ale, and maybe a Boulevard Tank 7 clone. Want to try out Wyeast 3711 again on these beers. Thoughts?

Generally if you are going to make a broad range of whatevers, standard US or UK 2-row is going to be a safe bet. Pilsner malt has a light, but distinct character best suited for Continental-syle lagers.

I've got 2 row, pilsner, and wheat malts.
Majority of beers I'll make use a combination of those 3.

I'm not big on specialty malts. Yet
Still learning how the basemalts work.

My Saison is 60% Pils 30% 2 Row
2.5% White Wheat 2.5% Maize 5% Cane
I prefer Pils, although I doubt you will see much difference. Saison is yeast driven anyway.

My vote would be pils. I see very few Belgian recipes that don't start with pils. Of course, I wouldn't go out of my way to get pils if I had a whole sack of 2-row. Full disclosure, pilsner is my base malt of choice - I always have it on hand and only buy something else (usually not 2-row, but Maris Otter) if I have something special in mind.

Yeah, I'll revise my opinion IF you are planing lots of Belgians.
But still regular 2-row pale if looking at american or british ales or general purpose.
If making continental styles (lagers or Belgians), Pilsner is a solid choice.
I often forget about Belgians because I don't care for them, so they aren't even in my frame of reference.

Back