Which base malt to buy in bulk grain buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgburdman9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to start doing some all grain soon and the lhbs is doing a bulk grain buy. I am considering:
Rahr 2 row : 29.95 50lb (0.59 cents/lb)
Briess 2 row: 35.00 50lb (0.70 cents/lb)
Crisp Maris Otter: 49.75 55lb (0.90 cents/lb)

Is the MO really worth that much more and is there really any difference between rahr and briess? What would you pick?

What kind of beers are you making?

I have a couple of IPAs in my primary. The Sunset IPA is a British IPA, with all Fuggles; Marris Otter is important to its flavor (I even add a little biscuit to accentuate the malt, which I might not do if I were all-grain--it's a partial mash).

The Centennial IPA is an American IPA, and Marris Otter would really hurt the flavor--that one wants a clean, crisp base without the MO maltiness to it.

I would go w/ the Rahr...you certainly can make some nice beer w/ it. Or get two...one MO and one Rahr, it will last a year if properly stored.

Anyone used Great Western Malts base 2row? Did you like it?

I have found it for $40 per bag.

Course, I found Weyermann Pilsner Malt for $35 per bag. But I don't do many lagers...

Where are you getting the Rahr for $30 per bag?

I have been alternating between these 2
Briess 2 row: 35.00 50lb (0.70 cents/lb)
Crisp Maris Otter: 49.75 55lb (0.90 cents/lb)

All depends what beers i want to make.

Pils malt is used a whole lot more than lagers. People use it in IPA's, Ambers, and any other beer where light colors, and flavor accented by specialty malts is important.

I just bought two 55# sacks of MO but that is because I love the biscuit note that MO provides. I use it as a base malt in bitters, American ambers, porters, you name it. There are even some APAs which work with MO. If you brew 100% west coast IPAs, then go with the 2-row. Otherwise, go for the MO you won't be sorry.

Does anyone know where i can buy bulk grains in or near Columbia, SC? My LHBS sells it for $60-70 per 55# bag depending on the type. i would order online, but with shipping the rates are about the same. i would love to find it local for a bit cheaper if possible...

Anyone used Great Western Malts base 2row? Did you like it?

I have found it for $40 per bag.

I use Great Western all the time as it is cheaper and local (most of the malt is grown in eastern Idaho) and I dont seem to notice a difference between it and other 2-row at all. Plus id rather pay $40 as opposed to $60-$70 for a bag...

Course, I found Weyermann Pilsner Malt for $35 per bag. But I don't do many lagers...

I use a mixture of pils and 2-rowin some beers much like the row2/hill56 from RR...to me it adds a nice crispness to the beer

I use Great Western all the time as it is cheaper and local (most of the malt is grown in eastern Idaho) and I dont seem to notice a difference between it and other 2-row at all. Plus id rather pay $40 as opposed to $60-$70 for a bag...

I use a mixture of pils and 2-rowin some beers much like the row2/hill56 from RR...to me it adds a nice crispness to the beer

I like Great Western malt working on my second 500 pounds of there stuff now

a very good malt at a very good price

I did a bag of MO and Pils this last year and was pleased, especially with the Pils.

I'm glad that brew_ny and atoughram are in this thread. I was starting to feel out of place. I'm down to less than 2 sacks of maris, 2 row and belg pils. I'm freaking out! I barely have any left!!!! I used about 800-1000# annually. So even at a $1/# I'm putting out quite a bit of cash on an annual basis. I run about 80% brewhouse efficiency, so that must mean I brew a small amount occasionally. :D

I'm glad that brew_ny and atoughram are in this thread. I was starting to feel out of place. I'm down to less than 2 sacks of maris, 2 row and belg pils. I'm freaking out! I barely have any left!!!! I used about 800-1000# annually. So even at a $1/# I'm putting out quite a bit of cash on an annual basis. I run about 80% brewhouse efficiency, so that must mean I brew a small amount occasionally. :D

I was just looking at my last 200 pounds of grain and am starting to look for a group buy :)

I am in the same boat... I think I found my answer. So phew!

When I was a bachelor my living room was actually the grain room. Those were the days. Now I just have a room in the house for my grain, beer cellar collection (in a big wine fridge) and some odds and ends like dme and a nice big humidor. You know, the usual stuff.

I have around 6,000,000 lbs of MO in my basement, but I'm bricking it because I know I'll blow through it in no time!

Anyone want to go in on a group buy?!

I store mine in a climate controlled server room ;)

Genius! other than the humidity being controlled as well, and stops electricity from arcing anywhere.. but its still less than a muggy new england basement in the summer..

i wonder if i can sneak the grain into my server room here at work....

GW idaho pilsner & rahr 2 row,brilliant

Latest posts

Back