Where do you buy your soda ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasStrangeBrew

Reaction score
I've brewed a few gallons now with extracts but it feels too mindless to me and I don't end up proud of the result whether it's good or not. I want to start experimenting with making root beer and other sodas from scratch.

I've done some googling and a search on this forum but haven't gotten any good answers. Can you buy the roots and other ingredients at a normal grocery store or whole foods? Herb stores maybe? Good, cheap online retailers? And I know sassafras is banned by the FDA but can you still buy it somewhere?

Thanks

I can only answer from my own experience here in my community (south central PA) I found ginger root at the regular grocer, I found liquorice root at a beer and wine shop, and I did find sassafras at a local "Hippy":) health food store I'm sure if I drive to Lancaster they would have the sassafras at a farmers market also. I can find cherry bark and sassafras on my own in the woods here at home when the leaves come back (the leaves are the only way I know how to identify sassafras) you can also find the stuff on line...I found that making it from scratch is hands down the best way.....I paid 18$ for a half pound of sassafras this weekend it should be enough to make 2 or 3 kegs depending on the recipe.....cheers

I highly recommend buying all your roots from starwestbotanicals.com. They have a great selection and fast shipping. That's where I get all my ingredients for soda making (that or my local home brew store).

Best of luck. Making homemade root beer with boiled sassafras, sarsaparilla, licorice, vanilla, and wintergreen is the best. You will never go back.

http://www.herbco.com

They have every root, leaf, and oil you will probably need. Shipping is a little high for my area, but the product prices can't be beat.

And be sure to check out the root beer brewing video they made with Swagger Root Beer.

Herbco.com is great. i also visit my local farmers markets (depending on time of year) a lot of times i can find spices and such there from local vendors. not sure where they get it but i doubt its their own.

my local co-op also had a fantastic selection

Sassafrass is not banned by the FDA, but selling foods manufactured with safrole added is. So you can still buy the roots, yes.

I found Monterey Bay Spice company as well, there's also Starwest Botanicals, and a few other online retailers. Look for "herbs" or "health food stores" in your phone book.
This might help.

Back