Where do you bulk buy hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Off Balance Brewing

Reaction score
I tend to keep a selection of american hops on hand and build recipes around what I have at the time. I've bought bulk hops from my local homebrew shop but they only sell full pounds and hit and miss detail on crop year. Yakima valley hops seems to have a good selection, detail, and sell in half pounds.

Anybody suggest anywhere else?

Hopsdirect is great too. I find they have less variety at any given time than Yakima, but cheaper, and equal quality. Their American C hops are stupid inexpensive right now. I just bought 8 oz each of Columbus, Cascade, and similar for like 3-5 bucks each.

Im a big fan of Yakima as well. Good deals too...sign up for their emails 15% off on different types of hops!

All of the above are great vendors. Don't overlook Farmhouse Brewing in Janesville, WI. They buy in bulk and subdivide into smaller 4 oz to 1 lb vacuum sealed packages. Excellent selection and customer service. They also offer different regional combo packs of 4 oz and 1 lb sizes at steep discounts. Even though they are repackaged, I haven't noticed any degradation in quality over YCH or Hops Direct.

I've been searching in vain for some Trident hops recently and thought I had a lead on them at Farmhouse, only to discover they were out (like every body else). I shot a quick email and got a reply within minutes recommending a substitute (Triumph) which I hadn't heard of but looks very similar on paper. They gave me an approximate date for the arrival of Trident. I ended up getting the Triumph, plus a WHOLE lot more, based just upon the positive customer response.

I'll also order the Trident when it comes in a few weeks from now. I haven't done all that much business with Farmhouse over the last few years, but I'm thinking they just moved up a few notches on my "preferred vendor" list.

Thanks guys I forgot about hops direct. They do have some pretty good prices on a smaller selection. I remember they have a crazy sale right before the new harvest. Farmhouse sounds interesting, never heard of them before.

Ted at Hop Heaven has great hops too. There's an ebay store, but you can also email them and get a price list to order direct.

YCH still has their 2oz for .99 shipped deal for cascade only. I got a lb for $8 delivered fedex in 2 days. I think they were 2018, but they might be shipping 2019 by now, you can look up the year with the batch code on the bag when you get it. Fresh, nonetheless.

Hops Direct gets most of my business mostly because they're always running sales at the same time I seem to need to restock. I've ordered from YVH in the past as well as Farmhouse (for 4oz packs). All good vendors IMO.

Back