Where Are You getting Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtcweb

Reaction score
I'm in S.E. MI and all the kegs I'm finding are well over $100. Are you guys finding them cheaper? This is the same price range of a Stainless Steel Stock Pot. I'm sure the kegs have thicker walls, but I don't know that I need that for a BIAB pot.

I have been searching the houston graigslist for weeks, all were atleast 100.00 15 gallon . finaly picked on up for $60 last week . my opinion is the price of metals is pushing them to the scrap man

go buy a keg, drink the beer, and forfit your deposit. You have a keg for what ever the deposit is. hope you find something you like :)

Serving kegs (corny) I get from Rebel Brewer since they have a great price on the 3 gallon kegs I use.

For sanke kegs, I know of someone not too far that gets them from a recycle center that local breweries, and distributors, use. While not dirt cheap, they are in great shape. Plus the cost is scaled by the condition of the keg. I've also seen people selling them on CL and ebray for all kinds of prices. You need to be careful with ebray since you won't really know the condition until it arrives. Then you'll need to drain the nasty stuff out of it, which can be an entirely unpleasant experience. I had one that had been sitting in a basement for about two years. It smelled like bad cider when I opened it up. :eek:

Is it illegal to cut a keg? It depends on how you got it.

Would I cut a keg? I wouldn't advertise it unless I could prove ownership.

go to a few local craft breweries they usually will have a few damaged kegs they will be willing to part with. do not be the a$$hole that goes and turns a good $200 keg into scrap microstar charges a good penny to breweries.

go to a few local craft breweries they usually will have a few damaged kegs they will be willing to part with. do not be the a$$hole that goes and turns a good $200 keg into scrap microstar charges a good penny to breweries.

Tried that, didn't work out at all. Every brewery I went to is NOT getting rid of kegs unless they are so far gone that they're not even useful to us. Anything that can be repaired is. The days of being able to score a keg from any brewery level, IMO, are either numbered or flat out gone. The kegs that they DO get rid of are sent of to specific recycle companies in the region. Hence the person I know of that gets the kegs from said recycle company for this area.

I purchased mine from a cider company that had gone out of business and was liquidating kegs. Keep an eye out for closing brewpubs and/or breweries in your area.

just call some scrap yards and dont let the keg police scare you. You DONT have to prove ownership until the police prove yours are stolen which is impossible when the tops are cut off where the ser numbers are not to mention they have to have a warrant just to check for the number

It took me three months on Craigslist to find a couple of kegs, one for 60, one for 80 already cut and drilled. Chicago area. Just takes patience. The guy worked at a bar. I asked if they were legal and he said yes but what's he going to say?

Bought another completed keggle for 100, but had crappy brass fittings. I have this killer Android app that alerts me when search terms come up. For some reason you can't get it any more.

That's a great deal. Going rate around here @ the scrapyard is $30.

ended up getting 7 of them only using 3 gave one to a friend and sold the other 3 with the tops cut and holes drilled on craigslist for 60 bucks each!

Wow I didn't realize what I was stirring up. There has to be a legit source because the Home Brew stores have them all cut open and plumbed for various things. I was hoping to save some money by doing such work myself

Find a liquor distributor. Surely there's one where you're at... sometimes its hard to find one though.

In some states it's required by law for all beer/wine/liquor companies (mega or small) to distribute their product via a licensed distributor. I'm lucky and unlucky that i happen to live in one of those states. The lucky part is that they always have a surplus of retired/unwanted kegs sitting somewhere... either old, damaged or from breweries that have gone out of business. They pick those out and save space/shipping if they arent worth it when they have their shipping guys pick the empties back up from the distributor.

Try to find the closest one and call them up. They'll either sell them to you at scrap prices or just let you pick the ones you want to get them off their hands. If they try to sell them to you for more than 40-50 bucks go elsewhere.

Good luck in your hunt.

Back