Where are my beersmith files?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
I used CCleaner to clean up my c drive, had all the boxes checked. never had a problem with it before.

Next time I opened beersmith, I had to re-enter the registration code, and my recipes had disappeared when I tried to go to them.

It's no biggy as there was not much in there. For future reference I just need to know what extension my saved recipes have, and their location so that I can safeguard them better. Any help great appreciated. :)

I took them for safe keeping. It will cost you at least a twelve pack to get them back. Consider it rent on my hard drive space.:D

I think they are .bsm files

My instinct is that CC stripped the registry entries out that belonged to beersmith.

You might be able to do a search for .bsm and see if they are hiding on the HD somewhere that beersmith doesn't know to look.

I am paranoid and back up my files on another drive.

Hi,
The files are in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory on most systems. However, Vista has a special "compatibility" directory that shows up if you are running as a non-admin user and go to that directory (there's a little Compatibility directory icon on the file explorer when you go to the BeerSmith directory).

The full path to the compatibility diectory is:
C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

...where {USERNAME} is the name you use to login.

The compatibility directory is a new "feature" of Vista, and if you change user permissions or settings under Vista, it sometimes will change the path to that directory and your files will seem to disappear even though they are still there.

To get around this "feature", the future versions of BeerSmith will store all of your recipes and other data in your Documents directory. I'm working on it now...

Cheers,
Brad

Got them!! Yes Vista had hidden them in that location. Thanks a million to both of you. It's good to know that Ccleaner still hasn't let me down yet too.......... Vista? Not so much ;)

Back