When to add LME and DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPa Bob

Reaction score
First of all I have only done full volume extract brewing. I haven't gone to all grain (yet). I have often wondered "Why not add the LME/DME at the end of the 30 minute steep?" In either case, you have to watch for boil-over, but what advantage is there to bring it up to 210 -> 212 before adding the extract?

Been a while since extract brewing for me, but I prefer to add before boiling, after the steep, as you were wanting to. That way the cool extracts don’t stop my boil. Also, the rising steam tends to clump the DME when pouring slowly, and make it stick to the container or package. I’ve seen no advantage to waiting.

First of all I have only done full volume extract brewing. I haven't gone to all grain (yet). I have often wondered "Why not add the LME/DME at the end of the 30 minute steep?" In either case, you have to watch for boil-over, but what advantage is there to bring it up to 210 -> 212 before adding the extract?
Simple answer is warmer temperatures reduce viscosity and increase mixability. Lower temps increase likelihood of scorching the extract.

Are you implying that you are looking for a no-boil recipe? Mash steeping grains then add lme/dme?
Short boiling or no boiling changes hop utilization efficiency and throws off predicted ibus. Its not a bad thing, just takes some recipe modifications to get the hop flavors you want.

I have often wondered "Why not add the LME/DME at the end of the 30 minute steep?"
what advantage is there to bring it up to 210 -> 212 before adding the extract

It's generally faster to bring water to a boil than to bring wort to a boil.

"Forum wisdom" would suggest that one would get a darker colored beer by adding the LME/DME at the end of the steep. How much darker (adds 1* SRM? 5* SRM?) seems to be the question.

Aside: If you have a copy of How To Brew, 4e, check out the LME/DME addition timings for a full boil (p 144) and partial boil (p 11).

S-Met - No, I still boil for 60 minutes. I just wanted to add it during lower temps.
BrewnWKopperKat - Yes, I am aware of this, but so far I've only brewed dark beer and stouts as these are my preferences. And, I will check Palmer as you suggested.

Yes, I do turn off the heat while adding LME/DME so it won't scorch. I also feel, wrongly perhaps, that there is less chance for carmalizing at a lower temp.

For dark styles your method seems logical, any potential extract darkening and caramelization flavors from a 60 min extract boil may actually enhance these styles, depends on what you're hoping to achieve.

I have limited DME experience but recently found whisking it in when water was 110F worked great, after I had horrible clumping at steeping temperatures. Some others don't seem to have a DME issue at steeping or boiling temperatures.

IMO the wort, with the extract added, should be stirred constantly when heating up to a boil because the extract can scorch if left still. Once it's boiling, it doesn't need to be stirred, IMO, because the boiling action keeps it well agitated. So adding the extract at the end of the steep would force you to spend more time standing at the kettle, stirring.

Back