When to add frozen fruit???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed up a Flanders Red all grain last weekend, pitched 1 pack of Roselaire blend and it is chugging away quite nicely right now. Went in at 1.064, not really concerned abut what it gets down to right now. Big question is when and the best practice to add frozen whole sour cherries. I plan to split a 5 gallon batch to 2 x 2.5 batches and add the fruit. Should I wait until the pellicle forms, add the fruit first and then wait for the film. Would I need to add more yeast as I am going to be racking off the yeast bed. Never brewed with fruit additions so I need all the help I can get on this one. Plan on letting this on sit for a good while to get the yeast to do their thing and add some tartness to this.
Currently fermenting in the basement which is a pretty constant 65-68 degrees all year if that matters.

I would suggest mashing (physically smashing them) those cherries prior to adding to the fermenter. It will allow for more complete extraction of flavors and acids.

I do plan on smashing the cherries up to allow the bugs to get into them. Some of these have been frozen for 2 seasons, some are from last summer. Have nearly 200 pounds of cherries to use up. Going to be making several cherry infused brews over the next month or so.

I do plan on smashing the cherries up to allow the bugs to get into them. Some of these have been frozen for 2 seasons, some are from last summer. Have nearly 200 pounds of cherries to use up. Going to be making several cherry infused brews over the next month or so.

Jeez 200lbs ! That's a lot of cherries man .

Back