What's up yinz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckMoney

Reaction score
Another bandwagon brewer from Pittsburgh, PA. I just graduated from college in December and now that I've entered the workforce I've been looking for a hobby to eat up some of my time. I'm pretty sure I found it. My Dad and Uncle were always making their own wine back in the day, so it was very easy for me to grab an unused carboy with an airlock and get to work.

First beer was a Brewer's Best APA kit. Came out fairly well, however I did take a bit of issue with using the dry danstar yeast as it seemed to stop about half way before I got to my intended FG. I ended up sterilizing a stainless steel rod and stirring the yeast back into the wart with a little fresh air and then putting some slight heat on the fermenter raising the temp from around 68 to 75 degrees to get it started again. Reached my intended FG after about 15 days after I pitched, then racked to a secondary for another 10 days. I bottled about 13 days ago, (two saturdays ago) and plan on chilling a few bottles and taking them for a spin tonight to see how it goes.

Even though I just joined today, I've been reading this site for info since I started on my journey to becoming a full-fledged home brewer and thank the entire site for its collective knowledge.

My plan in brewing is to slowly expand upon the pale ale style, using 6lbs of liquid light malt extract and the wyeast california ale v yeast as my base, and altering my specialty grains and hop additions to tailor them to my liking. Also, I pass a local farmer that keeps bees and produces some of the best honey I've ever tasted, so hopefully I will eventually be able to incorporate that into my brewing, and perhaps even make some mead.

-Chuck$

Latest posts

Back