What would you do differently?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrstaples1

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 18 months using mostly kits (DME + specialty grains) put together by my LHBS. As one does, I have been growing into better equipment and processes. I am anticipating a big step to get off the stove top and switch to AG pretty soon. I acquired a couple of kegs, cut the tops, and I plan to add fittings to my 10 gal stockpot for a HLT. I suppose I will start with 5 and 10 gal infusion mashes in a 3 vessel setup, but I see myself pumping wort around eventually.

Before I make too many moves, I thought I'd put out a request for the insights of others. Of course, there is plenty of technical info to be found here, but what I'm curious about are personal insights. Briefly, what does your setup look like? Knowing what you know now, what would you do differently? What are the things you got right? Did you get equipment somewhere and then find better options somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for your insights. This has been such a valuable resource, and I'm not sure I'd be making drinkable beer now if it weren't for this forum :mug:

I use 2x 5 gallon pots on the stove and a 12 gallon MLT.

If I were to do it again I'd get a couple of larger pots (or a NG burner, maybe) and a bigger MLT.

If I had to do it again, I'd save money and go straight to high quality 15g kettles. I went cheapo and small initially and ended up sellling and taking a loss. Another huge one would be to also spend the money on a SS brewstand. I went with steel and painted it with high temp paint. It peels off everytime and looks like crap. CFC instead of plate chiller or IC.

There is only one single thing I would have done/do differently, and that is I should have fabricated my next single-tier structure out of stainless tubing instead of mild steel.

Yup. That's it right there.
Wouldn't change anything else I've done...

Cheers!

The stainless brew stand is something I hadn't thought about. You're referring to aesthetics right? Steel brew stands function just fine, but they don't look as nice as SS? Also, forgive my ignorance but what is CFC?

The stainless brew stand is something I hadn't thought about. You're referring to aesthetics right? Steel brew stands function just fine, but they don't look as nice as SS? Also, forgive my ignorance but what is CFC?

I went with a steel single tier (Brutus style) and the paint peels off around where my kettle sits due to the heat. It then starts to rust in those areas and looks like crap. I have to repaint those spots after every few brews which becomes a pain. I wish I would've spent the extra few hundred on SS. No hassle, no peeling paint, no rust, no scratches, etc. CFC would be counter flow chiller. I have all 3 types and the CFC is the best, IMO.

I would have gone BIAB sooner. Spending the time and money to keg early on was huge. I don't know if I would brew if I had to bottle everything.

2 things:

1. Wider brew table. It's a little cramped.
2. Wouldn't buy anything from Auber. Horrible horrible experience. In hind sight i'd probably do a BCS type controller.

I'd absolutely build a keezer and buy kegs. Period. You can make awesome beer on your stove top while the improvement and convenience gotten by going to kegs can't be ignored.

If I was planning to use gas, I agree with the get a good 15 gallon pot and a good burner.

If I was going electric, I'd get a 3500W induction cooker, 8-10 gallon bayou classic pot, and hire an electrician to get me a 240V hookup.

A cfc chiller as well.

Brewing wize I don't think I'd change anything. I'm still using the same eq that I have been for 20 years.

But the two pieces of eq I would do right from the beginning would be a water filtration and my ferment chamber.

Nothing.I started doing 10 gal EBIAB and kegging.Works like a charm.

Edit: a 2 tap tower to break up drinking the same beer.Its on my will do list.

The stainless brew stand is something I hadn't thought about. You're referring to aesthetics right? Steel brew stands function just fine, but they don't look as nice as SS?

I'm referring to finishing and maintaining a mild steel structure vs an ss one.
The former is a complete pita.

ndinh was on target with his take...

Cheers!

Back