What to do with a 1.7 cf fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNick73

Reaction score
I have one of those tiny 1.7 cubic foot fridges left from living in the dorms. I was just gonna use it to hold bottles but now I'm wondering if I can turn it into a "jockey box" type rig. Anyone ever done this before or have any other ideas?

I know someone built a fermentation chest by removing the cooling coils from one of those fridges and specifically used the cooling part of the unit. I think it's in the DIY section somewhere.

I built one here
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=37927&highlight=fermenting+chamber
Works great but I can not get it to go below 55. Not good for lagers but great for ales. Got enough room in it too bottle condition 50 12oz bottles and a bucket at the same time.
Some one else has done this too but I couldnt find the thread. Looked like his came from a bigger fridge.

If you do scrap it for parts getting the evaporator lines out is a pain in the butt. Took me a good 3 hours with a paint scrapper. Cut the crap out of myself too.
I wouldnt gut another one unless it had an external evaporator.

Latest posts

Back