What temp are the volumes in BeerSmith calibrated to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
What are the three volume measurements calibrated to in BeerSmith? There is the mash in volume (which for me is my total volume because I BIAB with no sparge), pre-boil and post-boil. My sight gauge is calibrated at room temp. Are the estimated values on BeerSmith calibrated at each temp...room temp for starting volume, mash temp for pre-boil and close to boil for post-boil? Or are they all set to one temp and we need to adjust our measurements?

I don't know for sure, but I noticed that when I started preheating my BK as I was sparging I ended up short of wort but if I sparge and wait to add heat to the BK until I hit my preboil, that all is well.

I bet mash is calibrated near 150, pre-boil about the same, and post boil at 70.

If that is the case, I have been measuring my water wrong lol I BIAB with no sparge so my mash in amount is the total water I need. I have been measuring that at room temp. It isn't a lot different but it is different. I'd say 1/4 gallon or so. Nothing that will change the beer much. My gravity readings have been a tad off. More water could be the reason.

I hear you, not a huge deal, but it does irritate me when I end up with a keg that's not full. I'm sparging, so I just sparge an extra half gallon (for a 10 gallon batch) and it all works out - though boiling 14.5 gallons in a 15 gallon pot can be tricky.

Pre-boil volume is HOT
Post boil volume is HOT
Volume to fermentor is ROOM TEMP
Volume of loss to trub and chiller is at ROOM TEMP

If you follow the numbers and balance them out, this is the only way it can be calculated. The way to get your initial cold volume for BIAB strike water volume is to set your thermal expansion coefficient to ZERO. Then your initial strike water will be as cold water in, but you will have to apply an expansion correction to your pre-boil volume or the program will not give you a proper measurement of mash efficiency.

I changed my shrinkage % to 0 and the strike water, pre-boil and post-boil all went down by .24 gallons. So all those volumes on BeerSmith are now measured at room temp so I would need to adjust since pre-boil and post-boil are obviously not at room temp. I think this will work out a little easier for me. I can put in my strike water at room temp then just adjust for pre-boil and post-boil. When I calibrated my sight gauge, I used room temp water. I took a random gallon mark and marked it on a piece of paper. I then heated the water to mash temp and marked that line on the same piece of paper. I then heated that to boil and marked that volume on the piece of paper. So I basically have an adjusting tool for the volume at room temp, mash temp and boil temp.

New idea for an update to BS. When setting up an equipment profile, BS has the user put a specified amount of water at room temp into their kettle. Have the user heat to mash temp range and record the volume into BS. Then heat to a boil and record the volume into BS. Then boil for 60 minutes and record the volume. This will get room temp volume, expansion percentage for that system at mash and boil temps and boil off rates all in one.

Back