What say you!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dn1

Reaction score
Evening!

I'm Benny. I want to create an exceptional cocktail. And I don't want to kill anyone in the process.

Cheers!

Benny B

Hey Benny. Welcome and no sacrifices allowed along the way to bettering your skills.
Thank you very much.

I wanted to ask a few important questions..

I'm making a homemade cold brewed alcoholic iced tea (3.5% abv).
Now, I've read I need 1000mg of citric acid for every 100ml of liquid of the drink I'm trying to preseve.
My bottles are 330ml. So, based on the above, I require 3.3g of citric acid (please correct me if that information is incorrect).
The stickler for me is how I dilute that 3.3g of citric acid, I.e. how much water do I mix with that amount of acid? And how much of the final solution do I add to my 330ml bottle? There's going to be lemon juice in the bottle as well, so I accept that I'll need to adjust the lemon juice accordingly to the citric acid.

Secondly, I'm intending to pasteurise in the 330ml bottle themselves, simply in a pan on the stove. Which, from the numerous suggestions I've read, should be 74c for 15 minutes (the liquid within the bottle). Is that correct? I had another home brewer say once the liquid hits 74c, it only needs a few seconds. That, in comparison to 15 minutes, is mightily different, hence my confusion and burning desire to establish which is correct.

Lastly, I read that to preserve flavour, I should cool the bottles down ASAP after pasteurisation. However, in my mind, I would need to let the bottles cool down on their own before I seal them and put them in the fridge to avoid thermal shock to the glass. Am I correct in my thinking?

Evening!

I'm Benny. I want to create an exceptional cocktail. And I don't want to kill anyone in the process.

Cheers!

Benny B

I say if they die, they die. Beverages often taste a little sweeter with the blood of my enemies.

Back