What roast level would you call this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1128.jpg

I know pictures are hard to tell most of the time but I figured I would put this out there. I was recently given some pre-roasted coffee so I figured I would try it. I was told it was a “medium” roast. Well to me this seems more like a dark roast. Even the beans have a lot of oil on them, the sheen from the lights is very apparent.

Today is my second pot of it and I can’t drink it all. I was hoping it was something I would like but I cannot drink it. I feel that since I have started roasting my own beans (granted only for a few months) my coffee preference has really changed.

Anyhow, I was curious to know what you all think. Do these beans look like a medium roast? If not what would you say? I think they would be a dark roast if I went on that scale. For a roasting scale maybe a Vienna roast? I normally don’t let my beans go this dark. Anyhow, I wanted to share this and see what others thought too on the beans. Thanks!

It's very, very hard to tell from that photo, but I'd probably call that Full City. With the number of cracks on the faces of many of those beans, I could go along with Full City+. Did you hear any second crack at all?

It's very, very hard to tell from that photo, but I'd probably call that Full City. With the number of cracks on the faces of many of those beans, I could go along with Full City+. Did you hear any second crack at all?

Where the heck have you been TexLaw? Nice to "see" you again!

I'm new to exploring coffee roasting, but that seems way too much for me.

Back