What is this reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpipes68

Reaction score
I'm I at about 1.42? I should be at 1.050. Bad news?
20190527_164620.jpeg
20190527_164641.jpeg

Nice try... how about 1.040. Good job having and using your hydrometer.
Cheers

Nice try... how about 1.040. Good job having and using your hydrometer.
Cheers
So I'm under where I should be by .010? I was looking at that wrong. That doesnt sound so bad, it looks like a long way off when looking at the hydrometer. Its fermenting aggressively now. I might be ok? Thank you for the advice!

It will be fine. It’ll be a little less ABV. No worries though. You’ll be fine, the beer will be GREAT!!! If weren’t so far away, I’d be over in a month to drink one with you.

You left out part of the information. Was this an extract batch or all grain? If extract, you got 1.050 even if your hydrometer shows 1.040. This is caused by the difficulty of mixing the concentrated wort with top off water and is a common problem.

It depends on what kind of grains are included, but since they don't specify how long you should 'steep', they shouldn't expect much sugar from them.

Possible causes for your low reading are:
1. You added too much water
2. Your wort stratified so it was more sugary at the bottom
3. You left extract in the bags
4. Your hydrometer is off (measure in distilled water to check)

Whichever it is, Congratulations! It's a beer!

It depends on what kind of grains are included, but since they don't specify how long you should 'steep', they shouldn't expect much sugar from them.

Possible causes for your low reading are:
1. You added too much water
2. Your wort stratified so it was more sugary at the bottom
3. You left extract in the bags
4. Your hydrometer is off (measure in distilled water to check)

Whichever it is, Congratulations! It's a beer!
It was a 20min steep. I did add about a gallon and 1/2 of water to get enough volume for 48 bottles once it was in the primary fermenter.

Back