What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put together a recipe for a Belgian blond and been working on cleaning the kitch, err brew house 😉. I’ve just acquired a gently used Grainfather (older model) so I need to make some space, but until I use it a few times I’m not likely to part with my kettles.

It is time to clean our Maibaum (May Pole or translated, May Tree) for the May Day and Maibock celebration.
Different towns may have different themes. Here are a few pics of May Poles. Ours will be up on May 1st as tradition calls for.

Attachments

• Maibaum1.jpg
    Maibaum1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Maibaum6.jpg
    Maibaum6.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 0
  • maypole-2460600_960_720.jpg
    maypole-2460600_960_720.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 0
  • maypole-1381289_960_720.jpg
    maypole-1381289_960_720.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0
As noted a couple days ago, a coworker has vacated the cider hobby and dropped off all of his gear…. OMG! 8 carboys, 2 cornies, 10# CO2 tank w regulator, chemicals, 8 boxes of bottles, beer gun, Apple grinder & press, capper/caps, hanging scale and new 15g charred oak barrel. Need to find cheap source of apples by the fall, definitely available for club use! Also more stuff for club picnic sale!

1714252658282.jpeg

Went to clean the kitchen up around 11pm , after being out, drinking beer all day so tomorrow morning I could make a quick breakfast and start my next batch.

The kitchen sink has been draining a little slow, but decided to back up completely tonight, midway through the dishes.

Good thing I have some years of experience in plumbing because OMG, what a cluster****ation. Spent a good hour or so snaking the old ass pipes and then doing an initial cleaning of the aftermath. A sad state of affairs to be sure.
The little lady is not going to be super happy tomorrow morning when she sees all of the stuff from under the sink stridden about the kitchen and dining area.
Hopefully I can convince her that I saved us a bunch of money by not having to call a plumber.
Wish me luck. 🍻

Sketched out a "Treehouse Style IPA" recipe to try soon. Mostly designed to use up some Cryo Citra and 2020 harvest Strata I've got kicking around, but also gives me a chance to try out some 2023 harvest Luminosa which Malt Miller has just started stocking.

I'm very interested to see how it comes out as it's extremely different to my usual approach, with a very small whirlpool and truly colossal dry hop.

2.5 gallon iPA, BIAB, 2 row, Pilsen, Vienna, Citra and mosaic. Missed a few numbers by a little, but hit my boil off volume. OG @ 1.056 without correction. I am learning not to fret the production details and focus on the end result. Does it meet the style and does it taste good. I am hoping for something sessionable to scale up to 5 gallon and mostly repeatable.

Got my mashing on! A little late but it'll do...

20240428_105615.jpg

Hit the preboil volume/gravity/pH on their noses, on to the 170°F whirlpooling!

20240428_142059.jpg

[edit2] Got it done - finally - and hit all the numbers to the fermentors. Leg definitely slowed me as I'm not allowed to kneel, and dragging the spent mash out to the neighbors chickens took twice as long as normal, but it held up ok - it's sore but that's about it. Good enough that I'm going to try to do another batch of my Ballantine IPA on Tuesday.

Chilling to fermenting temperature...

ab_28apr2024_3.jpg

Filling the carboys...

ab_28apr2024_5.jpg

Yeast pitched and aeration in progress...

ab_28apr2024_6.jpg

All gassed up and ready to go in Chamber 1.

ab_28apr2024_7.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Went to clean the kitchen up around 11pm , after being out, drinking beer all day so tomorrow morning I could make a quick breakfast and start my next batch.

The kitchen sink has been draining a little slow, but decided to back up completely tonight, midway through the dishes.

Good thing I have some years of experience in plumbing because OMG, what a cluster****ation. Spent a good hour or so snaking the old ass pipes and then doing an initial cleaning of the aftermath. A sad state of affairs to be sure.
The little lady is not going to be super happy tomorrow morning when she sees all of the stuff from under the sink stridden about the kitchen and dining area.
Hopefully I can convince her that I saved us a bunch of money by not having to call a plumber.
Wish me luck. 🍻
I have found that having a solid quote from an outside service does wonders for the family’s gratitude. “A new one would have cost $1000!!!! Thank you for fixing that that.”

Picked up a few ingredients for this weekend's stovetop BIAB brew day: my annual summer pilsner. A bit different this year: going with 100% Weyermann Barke Pilsner malt (no specialty malts this year); also using Crystal as my aroma hop instead of my usual Mittelfruh.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20240429_193509.jpg
    20240429_193509.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back