What do you want to see in YOUR brew log?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrdhyn

Reaction score
A friend and I are developing a website that will be a user friendly brew log. We're initially developing it to include the features that we specifically use and track in our paper brew-log. However, we'd like to expand this to include other, relevant functionality that people want to see (and maybe improve our brews by tracking these points). Basically I've got two questions for you guys:

1) What are the features you use most frequently, as in, won't brew without it, in your personal favorite brew software?

2) What data points do you track in your "brew log" when you record a recipe/session?

Extra Credit: Attach a scan, photo, or screen cap of what a typical log entry in your brew-log looks like whether you use some sort of software or write it down by hand on paper.

In return for your help with this, we plan on eventually making this a free, publicly available site and database once we are comfortable with layout, functionality, and feature set. So, here's your chance to tell me what you'd like to see in YOUR online brew log.

Here's mine (with pics):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/promash-printing-templates-218246/

On the front, I track pre-boil measurements of: my desired GU's, volume, OG of wort, and actual GU's. I also record the batch number and manufacture date of my yeast, as well as any starter information.

On the back, I have mash parameters: strike temp, grain temp, mash temp at the beginning, middle and end of mash, the total mash volume, target mash temp. And, I have fermentation parameters: volume, OG, FG, Attenuation, ABV, Calories, Primary conditions, secondary conditions, and bottling/kegging conditions. Finally, I have a place for tasting notes.

Hope it helps.

I keep things consistent brewing the same way over and over. For the most part all a write down are mash schedules and gravities. Anything I find important I note in my hopville pages.

Back