What do you add to the mash to increase Ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
I am used to adding some 88% lactic acid to bring my mash Ph down some, but I am brewing a dark beer and due to the malts used my starting mash Ph is too low (5.16). What is normally added to a mash to bring the Ph up?

I have also used Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate). It is something that is cheap and easy to pick up at the grocery store. Plus I often have some around for occasional uses while cooking. It is also very safe to use.

Everything I read says that Chalk (Calcium Carbonate) just does not dissolve in water so is not effective. Calcium hydroxide (pickling lye) sounds interesting but I so rarely need to raise the mash pH with my tap water.

Thanks. Yeah, I used chalk once and that was it. Stirred forever and it never dissolved. This is the first time I have ever had to increase Ph. Baking soda to the rescue.

Back