What am I getting myself into?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpsurfer

Reaction score
Hi all. Despite a long-time love affair with beer drinking, I've only just decided to try diving in and making my own. I spent the last few days reading The Complete Joy of Homebrewing cover-to-cover and am looking forward to starting my first batch this weekend!

You are getting yourself into something that will consume your spare time, thoughts, and if you get into kegging, your liver. Cheers!:mug:

You're also going to appreciate those commercial beers more (or less depending on what you're buying) by learning all about the process.

Something that will completely consume your life. You will want to Brew everyday, but it is not possible.

Also, possibly save money if you do things right, and depending on the beer you are buying.

Finally, having a great time.

You're also going to appreciate those commercial beers more (or less depending on what you're buying) by learning all about the process.

YUP!
Welcome to HBT! This place ROCKS! But i'm sorry to say that the days of being happy with a Becks piss water ale as your "Up-scale" beer are long gone. You'll now be purchasing mixed 6 packs looking for your next style to brew, you'll be spending your discressionary income on trinkets and hops that are on sale. You'll be referring to your wife as SWMBO....cause if MAMA AINT HAPPY....AINT NO BREWING GOING ON!
I actualy purchased 2 bottles of beer this weekend.....$18 EACH....and I was glad to get such a great buy!

My experience over 20 years of brewing really parallels the brewing process itself. At first, you go overboard, like a bubbling fermenter blowing it's top. Then you settle down, and the hobby matures, and you get better at it and have a better idea of what you want to do. Then you enjoy the time you can spend at it, and relax.

Welcome to it.

It's a lot of fun to make your own beer, don't worry if the first batch isn't perfect, keep trying. Check around for a local hb store or club for good info and help. Also, sites like this can help a lot.

Hey all,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Amazingly, there is a homebrew store 5 minutes from my house...I've been driving by it for years but always thought it was a coffee shop. I'm an idiot.

Anyway, I'm really excited to get my first batch going and looking forward to learning a ton from the great folks on the forum!

Hey all,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Amazingly, there is a homebrew store 5 minutes from my house...I've been driving by it for years but always thought it was a coffee shop. I'm an idiot.

Anyway, I'm really excited to get my first batch going and looking forward to learning a ton from the great folks on the forum!

I envy you, the only brew shop near my place closed so now I have to drive 65 miles if I want to go to a brew shop

Back