What’s a boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vallonswayla

Reaction score
I’m stuck at about 210 deg on my stovetop at full blast. It’s rolling but I wouldn’t call it a true boil. Is this ok or do I need to consider alternatives? I have a lid partially on but doesn’t seem to add more than a degree.

I agree with ^that^, it seems the trend is towards low energy boils to preserve as much malt character as possible.
That said, fwiw, the boiling point of water drops by 0.5°F for every 250 feet ASL.
If the issue is the range top can't push higher, make sure it's not physics at work :) instead of insufficient power...

Cheers!

+1 Gentle boil is best; the wort just needs to be moving.
+1 Check the boiling point at your elevation.

Also:
How are you measuring temperature? Most thermometers aren't exactly accurate. Dial thermometers and digital thermometers you can calibrate if needed.

+1 Gentle boil is best; the wort just needs to be moving.
+1 Check the boiling point at your elevation.

Also:
How are you measuring temperature? Most thermometers aren't exactly accurate. Dial thermometers and digital thermometers you can calibrate if needed.

I’ve got a thermometer threaded into my kettle. Also used a handheld thermapen. Both registered ~210.

To achieve all the necessary goals of wort boiling, you need: temperature of at least 180°F, and good physical circulation (not volcanic, not even rapidly rolling, just gently rolling.) Now, nobody should really try to do this at 180°F. But more than minimal necessary heat applied to get that gentle, rolling simmer (better description than boil) will do far more harm than good to your beer. Sounds like you're doing just fine. BTW contrary to some old homebrew myths about volcanic boiling, you should be looking to reduce volume by less than 10% over the entire boil.

A moderate roll of the surface is a boil. That's all you need.

Splashing, distinct locations where it's "shooting" is a hard boil. That is too hard.

Moderate roll.

I’m stuck at about 210 deg on my stovetop at full blast. It’s rolling but I wouldn’t call it a true boil. Is this ok or do I need to consider alternatives? I have a lid partially on but doesn’t seem to add more than a degree.

Where are you located? Altitude makes more difference than you think.....water boils at 212 degrees AT SEA LEVEL. I am at 3700 feet and water here boils around 195(science says around 205, so maybe my thermometer is off....)....BTW, once the water starts to boil, it WILL NOT get any hotter.....

YMMV

Lon

After reading this I got to thinking and re-evaluated my boil-off rate which I always knew was terribly high. After I got a kettle of test liquid (water) boiling I kept turning the burner down and managed to keep it gently turning over at a much lower notch on my stove than I thought I could. I managed to reduce my boil-off by about HALF, it seems. So thanks guys for getting my brain working!

Latest posts

Back