Weldless with Propane Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epoxyoyo

Reaction score
Ok I finally scored a Keg today and cut out the top to make a Keggle.

Eventually I will turn this into an electric unit with 5500 watt element and PID to control it but for now I want to install a Weldless ball valve and sight glass. My question is will these be ok using a regular propane burner or will it get too hot for the fittings. Hate to have a melted o-ring and loss a batch cooking.

Also anyone got a good wiring diagram of how to wire up a simple single PID to the single heating element using a SSR?

Thanks

Weldless sight glasses and ball valves are fine for a keggle / e-keggle. Just make sure that you use heat tolerant o-rings on the inside (silicone works great). If you have a piece of metal to use as a heat shield under the valve & sightglass, that would help a lot as well. I use a propane burner and silicone o-rings on my valve without any issues. I also tend to keep the valve over the edge of the burner to reduce the amount of heat.

Back