Friut in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jak1010

Reaction score
Talking with my neighbor the other day and discussing his pear tree. Knowing I'm a home brewer, he asked if I'd like to try using the fruit from his tree.

Here in NJ the pear tree in his yard is just starting to bloom (the fruit is about the size of a pea) and he thinks that if we take an empty bottle and somehow secure it to one of the growing branches, the fruit will grow to full size while inside the bottle. When ready, there will be a full size fruit in the bottle.

I thought this was a cool idea and maybe will try it. Sounds like a good conversation piece...kinda like the ship in a bottle thing.

Anyone else try this or ever known anyone to do it?

If seen it done with clear bottles, not sure how well a brown one would work. Also the ones I have seen have been bigger, I.e. milk bottle, etc

A couple things. One, I would use clear for sure. I would position them neck down so any debris could fall out

. I would select pears out of full sun, I imagine it would get very hot in a bottle in full sun.

You should pick pears on long thin branches that you could strip of their leaves, so the pear could form far down in the bottle, away from the neck.

I would think you may need to fortify what ever beverage you put in there, to properly preserve a largish piece of fresh fruit.

Excellent suggestion! Thank you very much. I'm thinking about trying the fruit in the bottle idea and filling it with some JAOM. Maybe I'll have a nice batch of pear wine or mead this time next year to fill it with. If it works...

Try to put a fine mesh screen around the neck of the bottle, tapped, to it and the tree branch. This will help keep bugs out. It would suck to go through all this effort just to have bug eaten fruits.

Try to put a fine mesh screen around the neck of the bottle, tapped, to it and the tree branch. This will help keep bugs out. It would suck to go through all this effort just to have bug eaten fruits.

Great idea!

Back