60 Minute Belgian IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMP

Reaction score
Long story short... I bought ingredients to brew the 60 Minute IPA in Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing book. Life got busy and I didn't get to brew it this spring. Now it's summer and I'm worried that I missed my window of opportunity. I don't have good temperature control in my small apartment and don't want to try to brew this now if it will inevitably ferment at too high a temperature.

I started wondering if I could convert this into a Belgian IPA and use a Belgian yeast that can ferment at higher temperatures?

Simply swapping a Belgian yeast for the 1187 seems like it would be too simple. What other adjustments would need to be made to the recipe? What Belgian yeast would work best? The only Belgian yeast I have on hand is 3787 and not so sure that would be a good fit for the style.

It's a great recipe. So dobyourself a favor and make the recipe as it is written. Get yourself a plastic tote and some frozen jugs of water and make a cheap swamp cooler to keep your fern temps down. It's worth it because this is a great recipe! If you don't understand what a swamp cooler is just search it on this site.

I live in an apartment and have had luck with the tub of water with a Tshirt method. I normally use us-05 or wyeast north west ale yeast that can go up to 75f. I am going to try saisons this summer for this very resin though.

With a tolerance of 64-78F I say go for it. I'd still try to keep it around 70-72. Swamp coolers work to keep things from getting out of control. I love Belgian IPAs and the Westmalle strain should brew a nice version. Wyeast says it makes a great Belgian house strain.

I am getting ready to carb a batch of a hoppy golden belgain I made with mosaic, hallertau, stryian goldings and smaragd hops. So far it has good depth of hop flavor without so much that you can't taste the belgian yeast. I really like hkw the tropical citrus of the mosaic goes with the yeasty esters and finishes with some good noble hop notes. I used wyeast 1388 and have had good results but be ready to play the waiting game beacuse belgian yeast seem to need time to do their magic.

Get yourself a plastic tote and some frozen jugs of water and make a cheap swamp cooler to keep your fern temps down. It's worth it because this is a great recipe! If you don't understand what a swamp cooler is just search it on this site.

I tried the swamp cooler method last summer and it didn't really work. I'm away from the apartment too much to consistently swap in new ice to keep the temperature down. In the end I wound up with a sub-par beer that was a ton of work and made a mess.

Right now it seems like brewing the original recipe with 3787 and maybe a little candi sugar to bump up the ABV would work.

You should still do what you can to keep the fermentation temperatures under control. Even if you can't swap out the ice the volume of water in the tub insulates the fermenter and keeps the beer from experiencing rapid, extreme temperature fluctuations.

I tried the swamp cooler method last summer and it didn't really work. I'm away from the apartment too much to consistently swap in new ice to keep the temperature down. In the end I wound up with a sub-par beer that was a ton of work and made a mess.

Right now it seems like brewing the original recipe with 3787 and maybe a little candi sugar to bump up the ABV would work.

3787 is a saison yeast and IMO the bitterness of the hops would clash big time with the spicyness from the yeast, dial back the hops and make a saison or use a different yeast if your still going for the 60min clone.
Try and find 3522 ardennes, one of my favorite belgian "house strains" it attenuates decently and drops like a rock, which is not common for most belgian strains and gives a nice balance of fruity esters and clovey phenols.

3787 is a saison yeast and IMO the bitterness of the hops would clash big time with the spicyness from the yeast, dial back the hops and make a saison or use a different yeast if your still going for the 60min clone.
Try and find 3522 ardennes, one of my favorite belgian "house strains" it attenuates decently and drops like a rock, which is not common for most belgian strains and gives a nice balance of fruity esters and clovey phenols.

3787 is not a Saison strain. It is Westmalle's strain labeled Trappist High Gravity by Wyeast. And even if it were, several Saisons are pretty hoppy. Some Achouffe and Fantome products come to mind.

I dig a Belgian IPA made with Saison yeast, but temperature control is easy and cheap- pick your choice of methods and immediately start making better beer.

Latest posts

Back