SMaSH techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyonshead

Reaction score
This summer I want to brew a series of smash beers in order to really hone in on flavors. So my questions are for those who have smashed before.
1) what's a good OG to shoot for? I'm thinkin middle of the road 1.050

2) ibu range? Keep in mind I'd like to experience a balanced hop and the malt character in these beers

3) mash temp? My gut says higher because the residual sweetness gives me more of the malt character. Or is that a sweetness perception thing, and not so much malt character? Basically do I want it dry or not? Why?

4) the plan is to ferment all at 64* with US-05

Finally if you have any smash advice, I'll take that too.
Thanks!

For your goals, an APA with balanced malt and hop focus would be fine. 1.050 OG is good with 40-45 IBUs. Try to attenuate down to 1.010 FG, preferably lower. This increases drinkability and makes the bright hops pop. For this purpose, you need to mash in the mid range. 151-152 F for 1 hour should be fine. Mashing higher increases residual sweetness and body, but not necessarily malt flavor. Mash lower and you thin out the body and produce a more fermentable wort. At 1.050 OG with a single malt, I would not advise mashing lower than 151 F.

Assuming you are controlling your actual wort temperature, and not the air surrounding the vessel, I would ferment at 66 F. I think that's a sweet spot for APAs/IPAs using US-05.

Finally if you have any smash advice, I'll take that too.

Single Malt and Single Hop... It's not all that difficult. So keep things as simple as possible.

I was just playing around in Beersmith last night with a SMaSH recipe. I think I'm going to try a Maris Otter / EKG brew. Interested to see the input in this thread.

Back