Bubbling at time of bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearded_brew

Reaction score
Howdy -
I am at the time for my first bottling. The fermentation is still producing bubbles, not anything crazy but active. I am 17 days post after transferring to the fermenter. Still okay to bottle or should I wait until things calm down?

Thanks.

E.t.h.

Wait. It could be just co2 escaping or pressure equalizing but its not worth the risk of creating bottle bombs. Take a gravity reading, check it a few days later. If its the same both times, bottle.

The right answer here calls for you to measure the final gravity with a hydrometer at least a couple of times over a 2-3 day period, unless you have some experience with the recipe. When the readings are stable, then you can bottle. 17 days is plenty of time unless the fermentation stalled - a condition that is only known by hydrometer measurement being abnormally high.

The fermented beer will hold C02, and will show bubble depending on weather conditions due to temp and barometric pressure. These factors are not indicators of complete fermentation - only the hydrometer will tell you that.

Back